Chapter 15

[A/N] Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope you all have a lovely festive season and stay safe in your travels. Anywhere special you might be travelling to? I don't travel too much in the holidays, but let me know if you do or where you are hoping to go. 

And a quick reminder to hit the follow button, as I will be placing a sneak peak for each chapter through out the upcoming weeks.

Thank you for all your support, and enjoy!

Time moved too slowly for Cordelia as the Curricle rushed along the road towards the scene of the disaster. She watched anxiously as Leviathan shakily stood, winded from the harsh fall, his rider remaining motionless on the ground.

A small crowd had already begun to gather around them by the time they arrived, and Cordelia jumped from the vehicle as soon as it came to a reasonable halt, nearly tripping over the rug and her skirts in the process.

The gentleman whom her aunt had been speaking to had dismounted and was currently holding Leviathan's reins as well as his horse when he noticed her approach. "Miss Sutton!" he exclaimed, and she turned to see that it was a gentleman whom she was well acquainted with and hoped not to see for a good long while.

"Lord Tilbur, what happened?" she asked, forcing her reservations about him aside as she rushed to her aunt, only to gasp in horror.

Her face was pale, contrasting greatly with the crimson liquid that flowed down the side of her face. Her tophat had been thrown far to the side, and her skirts were raised slightly, showing her riding boots and one concern in particular—one leg was not in its correct position.

"I do not know, Miss Sutton. We were talking and her horse suddenly bolted," Lord Tilbur stated, his eyes wide as he looked at the injured lady on the ground.

"What do we do?" she panicked.

"We must get her into my Curricle," the Marquis stated, his firm voice quieting the anxiousness in her body instantly as he moved to her. "I will drive her home then send my groom for a doctor. Lance!"

Cordelia watched helplessly as his groom rushed to his side, and together, they gently lifted the Countess. A sickening crunch was heard from the movement, followed by a strong rebuke by the Marquis when the groom carelessly jostled the boot of the broken leg.

She could only stand to the side and attempt to help as far as possible in moving her into the vehicle, her hands trembling terribly in her assistance as the unconscious lady was adjusted to lean against her in the seat. The blood on the Countess' temple, though not much, was cause for great concern as Cordelia supported her against her shoulder, the warm liquid dribbling onto her dress.

As carefully as he could, Lord Midrake urged the horses to move as smoothly as possible as they rushed back to the house, the Viscount following along behind them with the horses.

Once they had reached the entrance of Mayfield House, Lance jumped from the back of the Curricle and rushed inside to call for help before quickly returning. Servants hurried from the front door, and Cordelia almost sobbed in relief at seeing Martha's face, instinctively knowing that she was the best person to handle such a situation.

As gently as they could, the servants eased the Countess from the vehicle and carried her inside, setting her down on a settee in the drawing room. Cordelia lingered in the background, keeping out of the way as she watched the Marquis instruct everyone on what to do, his confidence reminding her that he must have dealt with such trials often while on the battlefield.

Although she always felt guilty for forcing him to experience such instances, she could not help but be grateful for the fact that it had given him the confidence and level-headedness to deal with such matters.