Chapter 23

At last, the day of the ball arrived and brought with it a plethora of activity. The servants in the kitchen were hard at work preparing the last touches of the food to be served, while the housekeeper rushed around to ensure that everything was up to the Dowager's precise standards.

A gift had arrived for Cordelia in the mail, and as she stood in her bedroom, she gazed upon the stunning gown with awe. Her aunt had promised to send her a new gown for the ball, but she would never have thought for it to be such an exquisite garment as this.

The satin fabric was a delicate olive green, with the bust line enhanced by a tantalising arrangement of diamonds. When the skirts moved a shimmer of gold reflected from the fabric, giving her the impression of sunlight dotting through a thick canopy of leaves. She was not certain how many pounds her aunt had spent on such an elaborate gown, but the priceless jewels that she had sent to compliment the gown were a firm indication that it was more than most men's yearly wage.

"It is beautiful, Cordelia," Alicia said as she gazed upon the dress. "I dare say you will outshine me at my own ball."

Cordelia looked to her friend and noticed the sullen expression on her face, her mind perturbed and expression troubled, knowing what would come after the ball.

Alicia had met Mr. Harwood the evening that her father and the gentleman had first arrived. She had held her composure considerably well, but it was clear that she was not comfortable with him, judging by how quiet she suddenly became. Almost every word needed to be begged from her lips.

However, it was not just Alicia who was affected—no one seemed too impressed by the impromptu visitation of the Earl, all except her brother and the Dowager, who seemed to have become firm acquaintances with both the Earl and Mr Harwood. It was something that did not escape Alicia's notice either, and she seemed even more disinclined towards Edward than she was already because of it.

She was not as close to the Dowager as she once was either, and the rift between them grew more prominent when it was clear that there was no task considered too great when being catered for the gentlemen's preference.

Two days had passed without Alicia showing the slightest hint of warming up to her fiancé. She seemed to grow more withdrawn, escaping from the house at peculiar times and speaking less to everyone, including Cordelia.

Although Cordelia wished to ask her where she went, she did not want to pressure her. Just like Alicia never questioned her too much about her past, she would respect her privacy.

"Thank you, Alicia," she replied as she gently laid the dress back down on the bed. "But I could never outshine you even if I should wish it."

Alicia's smile was tight and no further words were uttered between them as their maids entered the room to assist in their getting ready.

Carriages began to arrive shortly after the sun had set, the deep metal and wood of their structures illuminated by the glowing lamps assembled outside. Since the ball was held in Alicia's honour, she was to remain beside the Marquis and Dowager's side for the duration of the arrivals, leaving Cordelia alone with her brother, Lady Topham, and her cousin.

"My, what a fabulous evening," Lady Topham commented. "This house is certainly much livelier with more people. Lord Midrake should have balls more often or at least more visitors. It was quiet around here."

"I did not mind the quiet," Cordelia commented as she watched the mingling people in their dazzling dresses and fine coats. "It is how the country should be."

Lady Topham laughed lightly. "Of course, you would approve of such stillness in your life. Honestly, my dear. If I did not like you so much, I would consider you a bore!"