Chapter 10

Hi, everyone. 

So sorry for the late update. My laptop had a breakdown. Literally, it is in pieces on my dressing table, and it took a little while to get a replacement.

The schedule will be back on track for an update every Monday.

Thank you for all your support and enjoy!

****

There was an air of excitement about the ballroom that was difficult to describe, but the best way Cordelia could define the scene was to the likeness of a hundred hummingbirds fluttering from flower to flower, creating a buzzing sound in her ears.

The venue the Foxword's had chosen was beautiful to be sure, with gold candelabras, sparkling champagne, and elaborate ice sculptures. She could see that they had pulled out all the stops for the event, and the ball's reputation for being the highlight of the season was well-earned.

Dressed in a silk gown of rose gold, the material flowed around Cordelia, giving everyone who gazed upon her the impression of a delicate candle glowing radiantly in a darkened room. Her vibrant cornflower blue eyes were of the purest crystal, and her porcelain skin glowed beautifully as she danced, her cheeks an attractive shade of pink from the lively actions.

But try as she might, she could not seem to focus on the occasion, her eyes constantly darting about the room. Two main concerns caused her wandering mind. The first was the Viscount, for she had yet to see him, and the second was the Marquis.

By chance, she had noticed the travelling carriage had stopped outside his home, and she could only assume that it was himself who had arrived. But whether he was going to attend the ball or not was another question entirely.

Cordelia frowned at her thoughts. There was a strong possibility that he would be too tired to attend tonight. She had to stop concerning herself about his presence so constantly.

Besides, her concern certainly was not because she may have spent a few extra minutes on her appearance in the possible event of seeing him.

That most certainly was not it.

"Ah, Miss Sutton. You are such a splendid dancer!" Lord Topham enthused with a smile as she returned to her aunt, who was seated with a few of her friends.

"Thank you," she smiled, her cheeks a becoming shade of rose pink from the exercise. Warm evening air drifted through the opened windows as she took a seat beside the Countess.

"Perhaps we may even have the pleasure of seeing you dance this evening, Eloise," Lady Topham stated with a secret smile, her eyes glinting with mischief as she looked at her friend knowingly.

"Do not start," the Countess remarked, a hard look of warning in her dark eyes as she took a sip from her glass of wine.

Cordelia looked between the two ladies before her gaze finally settled on her aunt. "Aunt Eloise, you are more than welcome to dance if you wish. I am sure Lady Topham will gladly take your place as a chaperone for a set or two."

The Countess' cheeks suddenly coloured, an unusual sense of shyness coming about her countenance. "Thank you, Cordelia. But I do not wish to dance."

The young lady was about to insist that she must when someone suddenly called her name. She turned to see Alicia rushing up to her with a large smile on her face. "There you are! I was hoping to see you."

"Lady Alicia," she smiled in return.

The rest of the party greeted her, and she smiled at them kindly before looking at the open seat situated next to the Earl of Mayfield. "Excuse me, but is someone sitting there?" she asked him politely.