Chapter 6

The park allocated for exercising horses was unusually quiet the next morning as Cordelia rode alongside her aunt. Usually on their morning stroll, they would catch glimpses of the elegant ladies and handsome gentlemen astride magnificent horses on their way to the park. Although she had noted early on that it was used as more of an effort to be seen and a silent battle on who could outshine who in terms of grandness rather than to exercise the animals.

It was peculiar how quiet the park was, and she commented to her aunt, who responded, "They are all tired from the Opera last night, followed by a stroll in the pleasure garden. I would not have believed them to arrive home before three o'clock."

She glanced at the lady beside her, taking note of how the older woman kept her hands light on the reins as the impressive black stallion pranced beneath her. "Leviathan appears rather spirited this morning," she remarked, watching the bold horse's impressive display of strength and quality breeding.

"Indeed, and it is making me wonder if Carlson has been exercising him as he should," she replied with a light frown as the stallion snapped at the reins slightly. She patted her riding crop lightly against his shoulder to remind him of his manners, and he settled briefly before prancing once again.

"He is used to the open country gallops. The exercise he has been receiving is most likely not sufficient enough, but I am sure Carlson is trying his best."

"You are quite right, Cordelia," the Countess stated as she tightened her grasp on the reins and sighed. "But I was hoping for a relaxing ride this morning."

"Would you prefer me to ride him instead?"

"Cordelia, I may be getting older, but I am not that old," her aunt bit back with a frown, but the lack of flame in her eyes made Cordelia aware that she was only joking with her.

She grinned back cheekily, but when it would have resulted in the start of a race, Cordelia quickly remembered that she was now in the city. Racing each other would not have been at all ladylike. Her lips twisted in a frustrated frown, which her aunt's perceptive gaze noticed instantly.

"What is the matter?"

Cordelia's grip tightened on the reins. "London is . . . stifling. Everyone is always watching and then criticises anything someone does."

"Well, that is the way of any social life, I am afraid. What were you wanting to do?"

"I would have loved to have raced. Carlson and I sometimes did when he needed to accompany me on a ride."

"I am glad you realize that such an activity is not appropriate here, though you should not be racing at all," her aunt chastised with a quirk of her eyebrow.

"It was fun though, and I love the feeling of a strong gallop. It almost feels as though I am flying."

The Countess thought to herself for a moment while Leviathan continued to prance about beneath her. She glanced at his bustling energy and then looked back to her niece. "Well, Leviathan will not calm down unless he has a good run. Since the park is quiet, I would say it is safe to gallop. But not for long, mind you."

Cordelia did not need to be told twice. Her horse burst forth into a gallop with the slight change in the position of her seat, and the Countess was quick to follow. Hooves pounded beneath them, the wind whipping past with such speed that tears began to form in Cordelia's eyes. But she could not stop the laughter from escaping her lips, basking in the feeling that she received whenever she rode, the feeling of being free.

They continued to gallop for a little longer before gently easing the horses to a halt at the end of the grass. The ladies each gave their steeds a few strokes on their necks before letting them cool after the run with a brisk walk on their return.