Chapter 22

The days passed by quicker than any two friends would have liked. Cordelia spent most of her time with Alicia to the point that they were almost inseparable. Their morning hours were spent riding in the revitalising sunshine or playing the pianoforte when the weather was less favourable. There was always something to be done, and Cordelia did her utmost best to distract her friend from the bouts of depression she sometimes found herself in.

George had arrived not long after she had sent her first letter to her aunt, and he had surprisingly been rather cordial towards everyone upon his arrival. He seemed quite at ease among the party of people, but he still had his moments that caused his partners in conversation to stutter in finding a suitable response.

But that was just the way he was.

It was one fine morning a little after breakfast when Cordelia and Alicia found themselves milling about the stately gardens of Midrake. The sun was warm against their sleeves and the gentle breeze fluttered their bonnets as they walked, speaking of nothing too grand in particular.

Cordelia had always had a natural talent when it came to gardens and plants, and she spoke in depth of any plant that Alicia wished to know with a wisdom that seemed almost impossible to attain for someone so young.

"I am flabbergasted by your sheer amount of knowledge concerning plants, Cordelia," Alicia praised after her friend had just finished explaining the precise method for growing perfect roses. "Where ever did you learn so much and of every plant no less!"

Cordelia blushed at her friend's enthusiastic compliment and averted her gaze back to a splendidly trimmed boxwood hedge. "My aunt has always loved her gardens. She has taught me many things about them."

"But surely, you cannot have acquired such vast amounts from her within six years? One of your parents must have loved gardening. You certainly have a natural inclination towards it."

Cordelia glanced at her friend to see her large emerald eyes gazing back at her with curious eagerness. She drew a slow breath into her lungs and smiled. "My mother loved to garden. It was one of her favourite things to do."

Alicia smiled in return. "I am certain she must have been in the garden quite often then to be so knowledgeable on the subject."

Cordelia's smile dimmed a little from the pain. "Yes, I suppose so."

She did not know how else to respond. How could she say that her mother spent so much time in the garden more out of necessity than actual leisure? And how most of the plants that were grown were to feed themselves and not to enhance the beauty of a property that was not theirs?

"You do not speak of your parents often. Do you miss them?" Alicia asked, her voice considerably softer than it had been before.

"I do miss them," Cordelia began. "I miss them terribly."

"What were they like?"

Her words made Cordelia's heart twist with guilt. Yes, she missed her parents. Any child would, but the fact that she hardly spoke of them made her realize the degree to which she was withholding a vital part of herself from her dearest friend.

But at the same time, how could she even begin to explain herself? Alicia has only ever known her to be under the guidance of the extremely wealthy Lady Mayfield.

She would most likely not even be able to begin to fathom the hardships that she had endured when she was little. From the freezing cold winter nights with an empty belly, to the long, exhausting hours helping with the Marquis' laundry or assisting in the scullery to earn a little extra money.

Alicia, as kind and caring as she was, would never understand that level of hardship.

"My mother had one of the kindest hearts I had ever met," Cordelia started at length. "But my father was a hard man. Well, from what I can remember. I always thought he was the best father in the world, until I grew a little older. My belief of his character changed a little then."