Denial

I watch as the team leaves the building. I stay until the feeds are clear of any of the 141, and ignore the bodies littering the screen.

"I'm done," I say to the cyber guy.

I write a quick report on what all went down, print it, and deposit it onto my desk. I give myself the rest of the day off. I ignore all thoughts of König.

I return that night, when I know they've come back, giving them plenty of time to shower and get changed. I don't bother with a uniform, sticking to a hoodie and shorts. A debrief should be quick, the rest of the discussion will just be amongst themselves. I walk into the conference room before the rest of them.

Simon walks in first. "Success," he says, though his eyes are tired.

Farah and Soap seem unphased, and Price brings the mission report I've left on his desk.

König walks in, the only remaining seat next to me. I feel the air thicken with tension, but I ignore it.

"Debrief, go," says Price.

"We rescued all four hostages," Farah begins. "We've placed them in hospital care, and psychiatrists will manage the rest of their recovery."

"We were able to get in very quickly," Soap says. "We sustained no injuries ourselves."

"It looks like the west entrance was utilized against Flora's recommendation," Price says, nodding at me.

"Six guards are easy," König says, without elaborating.

"Everyone's dead in there," Simon finishes.

"Which wasn't the plan," Price says. "Allow me to stress that while that falls under our personal decision as proctored by the commander, we should most likely consider that as a group beforehand."

König stares a hole into the table.

"But mission was successful overall, and then some," Simon says.

"I found that being aware of explicit enemy tactics was incredibly helpful," Price says. "Thank you to Flora."

I give a small smile. I can't think with König in here. I can't place this man with the one I saw on the screen earlier today.

"Flora, any thoughts?" Soap asks.

"I will further evaluate each of your files to accomodate for capability," I say. "This way we don't have unnecessary restrictions."

"Well, you said typically there are ten men at the west entrance," Simon defends. "König using that entrance could have gone differently."

Silence, and then, "Well, I would appreciate if you guys could stay for a few more minutes to discuss boring details," Price says to the group. "Flora, good work. We'll all regroup tomorrow morning?"

I nod. "Goodnight everyone," I call as I head out the door.

There are a few echoing goodnights, but I feel König's eyes on my back as I leave.

The rest of the week, I train with Simon, go to work, and sleep. I get to work early and I stay late. I give myself no time to have thoughts in my head, and certainly don't evaluate them.

I ignore the thought of König. In fact, I give him dirty looks when I can. He questions my authority whenever he can.

Friday rolls around, and I find the upcoming free-time daunting.

"What'd you make me?" Simon asks when I show up at his house with a big plate of cookies in hand. He closes the door behind me.

"Chocolate chip, snickerdoodle, peanut butter cup, and sugar cookies," I say.