The Gala

The third and final easy mission comes and goes. The next mission is two months out - detailed planning is necessary.

The director of operations is retiring down this week, and a gala is being held as his goodbye celebration. Price, happy to let his team relax in the quiet before the storm, encourages us all to go, two days beforehand.

"No uniforms, no worries, just fun," he says. I think he's just excited to meet a woman there - probably multiple women, knowing him and Soap.

Simon sighs, but notices the smile on my face. He smiles back.

Truthfully, I like to dress up. I'm kind of looking forward to a change of pace.

König broods in the corner.

That night, I peel out of base to find a boutique to go to, desperate to find a dress. Farah told me what she was wearing, and I need to find something of similar caliber.

I flip through the dresses on the rack until I find a shimmery, black, backless dress. I try it on, feeling... beautiful. It has a slit in the side, and the color compliments my skin tone. I have just the pair of heels for it.

Friday goes by quickly, and Simon stops me before I leave.

"You're going, right?" he asks.

"Yes, I am," I say. "Do you mind picking me up tomorrow? I won't want to drive in heels."

"Of course," he says, smiling. "I'm looking forward to it.

That night, as I watch a movie on my couch, I hear a brief rap on my door.

Pausing the TV, I make my way to the door, opening it to no one. I see a small box sitting on the doormat, and I pick it up, taking it inside.

It's a dainty emerald necklace. It glitters in the light.

It's beautiful, really.

For tomorrow, the note with it reads, the same writing as the compression socks that are still shoved in the back of my drawer.

I frown, sitting it on the counter, choosing to ignore it for the rest of the evening.

The next day is all-day prep. I blow-dry my hair, desperately trying to find a style that will suit me. I do face masks, paint my nails, whiten my teeth, and Nair everything, though I'm not super sure why. I guess it's part of a routine big event prep, though I haven't done anything like this since my very first military ball.

I settle on keeping my hair down, pinning one side back with a black clip that matches the dress. My makeup is simple, but makes me feel confident for the first time in a while.

I put on my dress, step into my strappy black heels, and spray on my best perfume. I make my way down the stairs, pausing at the counter, where the necklace still sits.

Despite my best judgement, I put it on. Simon pulls up right at that moment. Quickly, I check myself in the mirror, and head out.

Simon is wearing a classic suit. He whistles as I come out, leaning against his truck.

"Someone cleans up nice," he says, heading to the passenger door.

I swat at him. "I should hope so, this took all day."

He laughs, picking me up by my waist and setting me into the seat, noticing it may not be easy to do in what I'm wearing. "And how about me?"

"You look very handsome," I say. "Which is difficult to do, considering I can only see neck down."

"I'm flattered," he says, and closes the door, coming around to get in himself.

We arrive around the same time as everyone else. Though not here together, we walk in arm-in-arm.