Approaching

In the next two weeks, as the team prepares for the mission and I do my best to help, König and I don't mention our relationship to anyone. Most nights, he's over at my house, after long days of training. I've told Simon, genuinely, to take time to rest, and said we can train me later.

I'm getting enough cardio to keep in shape, anyway.

König and I have fallen into a little bit of a routine. He brings me breakfast, I take care of dinner, and lunches are typically taken separately at work. We've learned more about each other, particularly while being lazy in bed.

His favorite color is dark blue, his favorite food is french fries, he hates mystery books and movies, and he is self-conscious of his height.

As the mission day approaches, I get more and more nervous. König is training like crazy, I'm researching over, and over, and over again.

Three days before they're set to leave, Simon coughs loudly to get my attention, leaning against the side of my desk.

"Flora," he says, voice rolling. "We haven't hung out in over a week."

"I haven't done much of anything," I say, leaving out the who I've done. "We can have fun after you get back." I look up at him, and his eyes crinkle under his mask.

"We'll have fun tonight, and also then," he says. "My place, we're going to do pizza and a movie."

I think of König, and remember that he said he wants me to keep this friendship. "Okay," I say.

König takes the news well, via text, at least. He says he'll meet me back at my house.

Simon thanks the pizza delivery guy, pulls off his balaclava, and plops down next to me. As the movie starts, he suddenly speaks.

"So how long have you and König been together?"

I freeze, pizza halfway to my mouth. Disappointed in losing the bite, I sit it down onto the plate, defeated.

"For a couple of weeks," I say. "We... spoke of our feelings to each other close to two months ago, and rekindled after the fight."

I don't ask how he knows, but he nods. "I figured. One day, he walked past me, and he smelled like your perfume."

I blush, knowing it's because I kept kissing him before we left for work one day.

"Plus, you two haven't been nearly as nasty to each other in our meetings." Simon bumps my shoulder with his.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," I say. "I just... I don't know how to exactly explain that, and I wanted everyone to focus on the next mission. You're my best friend, Simon, and it's inexcusable."

Simon smiles at me. "Flora, you're telling me now, and I'm flattered."

I smile back, and we spend the rest of the evening zoning out and putting work out of our minds.

Two days pass. I'm laying on top of König, face propped up against my arms pressed against his chest. He looks down at me with adoration as I talk about how worried I am.

"Meine Liebe, we're going to be fine," he says. "Don't worry your little head."

I frown, laying my cheek against his chest with a huff. He presses a hand to my hair and laughs.

The next day, the final details of the mision are combed through, all of us working together.

Same thing as last time - twelve hours to get in, twelve hours to get out.

Only this time, they're breaking into a compound to wreak absolute havoc, and then locate the leader and bring him back for questioning.

Questioning could mean a lot of things, but that's outside of my position.

I stand next to the plane as everyone begins to load up. Simon hugs me tightly, a reassurance in my ear.

König walks slowly up, and, with us out of view, brings me in close and lifts his hood just enough for his lips to be exposed.

He kisses me, my hands grasping the sides of his vest.

"Ich liebe dich," he whispers against my lips.

"I love you too," I say, and he lets me go, then. His gray eyes look back at mine as he steps up into the plane.

I walk back alone.