Chapter Forty One

River

"River?" A voice mumbled as I felt a hand on my chest, moving across it.

"Go back to sleep." I grumbled.

"Let go of me."

I opened one eye and found that I had Lyra in my arms. During the night I must have pulled her into my arms.

"River."

"You should have just went back to sleep." I let go of her and closed my eyes.

"You should get up. I have to shower."

"I won't look. Not like I'm not familiar with your body."

"Never happened." She groaned in annoyance before going over to her dresser and pulling something out before going into the bathroom.
I smiled to myself before rolling over. I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and switched it on. There were a few notifications along with a few texts and calls.

Kol: You busy after 4?

Nick: Do you have notes for Chem 11 1A?
Nick: Nevermind. Found them.

Jenna: Are you the four of you coming to the party? It'll be fun! ;)

Teddy: Ball after exam? 12?
Teddy: Sash and I are getting coffees.
Teddy: You picking Lyra up?

I put my phone down and ran my hand through my hair as I heard the water start for the shower.

I went out to my car and grabbed a clean shirt from my gym bag.

"Good morning." A voice said as the front door of the house closed.

I looked up and found Lyra's brother-in-law coming down the stairs in dark pants and a light blue polo. He had a relaxed composure and a happy smile on his face.

"Morning." I said, zipping up the bag and closing the door.

After looking around, I found that Lilian's car was already gone.

"How's studying?"

"Good." I nodded.

He nodded and went to the driver's side. "Are you dating?"

I stopped just as I was taking my chance to escape. "Lyra and I?"

He thought we were dating?

"Well," his smile widened. "Yes."

I shook my head. "Just...friends."

What exactly could I say?

"That's how my wife and I started too. I was helping her study for some exam."

I raised a brow at him. "Romantic interest is the farthest thing from our minds."

He just nodded before he opened his mouth. "Whatever is going on is between the two of you, she's been through a lot. I mean a lot in a very short time. Just try to be...understanding. She's still learning how to live with everything."

I knew exactly what he meant.

And I knew exactly what I wanted to say to him but starting anything over the way his wife talks and treats her sister wouldn't go over well with Lyra.

He seemed to care for Lyra far more than her sister did. He seemed to have some compassion towards her.

Instead I asked him a question. It was one that left my mouth before I could even stop it.

"Was she close with her parents?"

I only knew what Teddy told me, or what Lyra was willing to share.