Chapter Fifteen-Paige

The next day passed in a whirlwind. From the moment she woke up Paige hit the ground running. There were things to do that could only be done the day of. In the human world most of a weddings planning is done by the bride but for werewolves, it was done by the male and his family. Of course her brothers mate, Madeline, had been talking with her mother for the last few months. It was seen as a gift from the males family to the females family to handle most of the planning and set-up. That way the female only had to worry about the move into the new pack.

Paige arranged flowers and directed caterers. She helped the photographer set up and answered thousands of questions. Her mother was too much of a mess to do it, after watching her breakdown over the cake Paige took her mothers binder and started directing the mayhem. Her mother was obsessively organized when it came to the important things, something Paige had inherited.

All too soon it was time for her to get ready. She donned a simple sage green gown that matched her sisters and accented her auburn hair; as part of the males family she would be expected to stand with him to welcome his mate. Her make-up was lightly done and hair pulled back into an elegant half updo with elegant curls cascading down her back. Sophie used almost and entire can of hair spray to make them stay. Even with all of it she was sure that her hair would be back to her frizzy locks in no time.

Before she knew it she was standing in the Goddess's clearing with her brother waiting for Madeline to arrive. Every pack had a Goddess's clearing where the sacred rites where performed, it was mostly used for bindings and funerals. Nathan was there with his officers. He would officiate the Binding ritual with the other packs Luna. If Nathan was mated to his own Luna, then she would have been the one to officiate with him but as he was unmated the other packs Luna stepped in.

The ceremony was simple, they marked each other and exchanged vows of love and fidelity, of strength and support, and of meaning and purpose. Nathan concluded the ceremony. "We came here today to affirm your love for one another and to formally acknowledge that which the Goddess has already made known to you; that your lives are meant to be shared as one. That you are stronger together than you are apart, and that, for all your days yet to come, you wish to share together all life's joys and challenges, committed to one another forevermore." He paused to let the words sink in. "Now, it is my privilege as your Alpha, to pronounce you Micah, and you Madeline, bound mates, as the Goddess wills, now and for many moons to come."

"For many moons to come." The crowd repeated back as Micah and Madeline took their first kiss as a bound couple. The crowd moved into the reception tent with dinner, drinks, and dancing. With liquid courage, Paige found herself relaxing and having a fun for the first time since she came home. And for the first time in a long time if she was being honest. She danced with Dorothea and Sophie. She danced with Micah. She danced alone. At one point, James had pulled her into a folk dance that featured circles and changing partners. She was having so much fun that she didn't realize her next partner was Nathan until it was too late. She tried to step away but he pulled her close, "Don't make a scene, just dance with me," he pleaded.

She looked up at him, her confliction shining in her eyes before nodding. He pulled her around the dance floor and she found herself laughing. When the song ended she was still partnered with him. Again she began to pull away but he begged her for just one more dance. With the wine suppressing all her reasons she should be saying 'no' she nodded again.

He held her close and they swayed to the music. She belatedly realized it they were dancing to Frank Sinatra's It Had to Be You. A small voice in her head was screaming at her, telling her how much of a bad idea this was. She pushed that voice to the back of her mind and let herself enjoy being in his arms again. They were steady and sure. Dancing there with him she felt like nothing could hurt her, like she could face any hardship, conquer any battle. It was comforting and peaceful. It felt like home.