Chapter Forty Seven-Paige

Paige woke later that day to the sun streaming into the room. She grumbled and got up to close the blinds but tripped on a shirt that she had left on the floor and crashed into her desk. She grumbled again and started picking up what she had knocked over. As she was standing Lennette burst into her room wielding  a frying pan.

"The cops are on their way so you better leave the way you came in!" She took a moment to look around the room to find Paige, who had fallen again at the shock of Lennette's intrusion. "Paige!" she exclaimed, "When did you get home?"

"Late last night, early this morning? I'm not sure to be honest." Lennette reached down and helped her off the floor.

"You look okay. I thought you were injured, Micah said you had some sort of accident?" She asked it as a question, when Paige didn't immediately volunteer the story she asked, "What happened?"

Not being able to lie to her best friend, she said, "Nathan happened."

"That motherfucker." She had with a mixture of disbelief and venom in her voice. "Wait, how did you see Nathan? Did you run into him in the airport or something? I thought he dropped off the map."

"Not the airport, no. He's part of my parents new pack." Paige walked back over to her bed and sat on it's edge.

"Damn, of all the gin joints."

"Tell me about it." Paige said. "That's not even the best part." She laid down from where she was sitting so her feet were hanging off the bed. "The best part is he's the Alpha."

"No!"

"And he says I'm his mate."

"What the fuck?! How-"

"That's what I said."

"Okay, we need a full debrief. Living room now. I'll get the wine."

"It's two o'clock in the afternoon!" Paige propped herself up on her elbows to look at Lennette again.

"Okay, then coffee with Irish cream. Let's go!" She walked to Paige and pulled on her arm, trying to get her to move. Paige stayed where she was.

"Let me shower and eat first. I haven't done either since yesterday morning."

"Okay, you shower, I'll order some takeaway. Indian? Lebanese? Something else?" She said taking out her phone to order the food.

"You choose. I'm too tired."

"On it, go shower." She left the room and Paige laid back on her bed. She thought about what she was going to tell Lennette. Of course she was going to tell her all of it, Lennette was the only person in the world she told everything too. It was hard not too after she technically committed fraud by pretending to be her wife in the hospital. And the months the followed were the worse ones of her life and Lennette stayed for all of it. Lennette was her rock, her best friend, her sister in arms, her person. Her onetime lover and now best friend. There was nothing they wouldn't do for each other.

Paige got up and got in the shower. She let the heat ease away the pain she had felt since leaving Nathan. She didn't think it would be so physically painful to say goodbye. She knew the emotional damage it would do but not the physical.

After her shower she and Lennette sat on the couch eating their takeaway and talking about Paige's trip home. She told Lennette everything and there were quite a few tears. Lennette was just as angry at Nathan's confession on top of the mountain, and just as heartbroken at the ritual's failure. That was something Paige loved the most about Lennette. She always matched energy when it was needed but also knew how to be the antidote when Paige's emotions got out of control.