Chapter Twenty Five-Nathan

Nathan stood away from Paige and Holly to give them privacy but not so far away as he couldn't hear what they were saying. He knew Holly had hurt Paige and he was reluctant to let them be close to each other but he also trusted that Paige could handle it. As he listened to her kindness he couldn't help but fall more in love with her. He knew that the Moon Goddess had given him a gift in Paige and he would do everything in his power to protect and cherish it. He smiled as she walked up to him.

"What?"

"Nothing, that was very- I wasn't expecting that."

"What, her apology, or what I said?" She stopped in front of him.

"Both. I knew she had a crush on me, she's not exactly subtle, but I didn't know it's extent. I almost expected her to start swinging again."

"Well, she's young." Paige looked down the hall after Holly. "She hasn't learned that other women aren't the enemy yet." They were quiet for a moment.

"Soooo," he smirked and raised an eyebrow at her. "You think I'm 'hot as fuck' do you?" She rolled her eyes and started walking to his office again.

"Don't let it go to your head. It's big enough already, any bigger and it'll throw off your proportions."

"The proportions of my 'hot as fuck' body? I just want to be clear of what we're talking about here." They reached his office.

"Can we focus now? We have work to do." She opened the door to his office and headed in.

"Sure, just as long as we're on the same page."

"On the same page of what?" Patrick asked as the entered.

"The book where Paige thinks that I am-"

"A good Alpha." She cut him off and turned to greet the doctor's. Nathan exchanged a look with his officers and struggled to control his face. He turned to the doctor's.

"Doctor Lawrence, Healer Hartland. What can we do for you?"

"I'm sorry Alpha, I know you cancelled this mornings meeting but we found something you should know ASAP." Healer Hartland started.

"I reached out to some colleagues of mine in Boston to see if they have heard of anything like this." Doctor Lawrence said. "One replied that he had heard of it in the rouge populations in the city. He put me in touch with a Professor Moran at the University. We've been emailing, he said he knew some other wolves that might be able to help but that he's going out of town tomorrow. The wolf in question won't meet us with out him there."

"That's unsurprising, most of the unpacked are incredibly wary of pack wolves." Paige interjected.

"You have experience with rouges?" Healer Hartland asked her.

"I know Professor Moran, I was his student."

"That makes this easier then," Doctor Lawrence said. "Professor Moran said he can meet with us today to introduce us to this other wolf, but we have appointments all day, but if you already know him then we don't need to go with you."

They all looked at Nathan who had sat and gone incredibly still. Allen shared a look with Patrick before clearing his throat and said, "Thank you Doctor, Healer, we'll discuss it and let you know." He ushered them out the door. With the door closed, they all looked at Nathan, who still hadn't moved.

"Nate," Patrick said cautiously. "I know you didn't want to involve them but it looks like it might be our only option."

He exploded out of his chair and walked to the window. He stared out it trying to control his temper. His was desperate to protect his mate, even from civilized rouges. He braced his hands on the window sill.