Chapter Sixteen-Nathan

Paige was finally back in his arms. Granted it was just a dance, but she laughed with him and now they were dancing close. He could see the conflict storming in her head played out in her eyes. When she nodded, wanted to jump for joy.  And when she nodded a second time, he almost fainted. Malcolm was humming happily inside him as they swayed to the music. Of course it was Sinatra's It Had to Be You.

The world felt right with her in his arms. Like nothing could stand in his way. Like he could face anything the world could throw at him. It felt like hope. He was pulled between wanting to enjoy the moment and wanting to tell her everything he should have said five years ago. "I've missed you Paige." He murmured with a sigh. She started shushing him as he said her name.

"Don't ruin this moment with words." She whispered. "Just let this moment be what it is before we have to go back." For a moment he was confused before he realized just what she was saying. The 'back' was life after the before, before the dance, before she came home, before he left her. In this moment, she was back in the before. He let a sad smile grace his face. He knew she wanted this one moment of bliss. He had so much he needed to say but this was something she wanted and he was happy to give it to her. He'd talk to her after the song was through. He was happy just to hold her close.

Part of him knew this was too much for such a public place. Out here in front of his pack, with someone they only know as the human sister of the groom. Nobody knew what happened between them, not really. His officers knew some but for the most part, as far as anyone else knew, they were strangers before this week. He was holding her entirely too close for a stranger. Entirely too close for a human. Entirely too close for someone who isn't his mate. But he didn't care. He was too caught up in her. In her scent, in the feel of her body against his, in the peace she brought him.

Before he knew it the song was ending; as the final chord was struck she whispered "Goodbye Nathan." And turned and walked away. He called after her, begging her to wait. He moved to follow her but he was intercepted by Holly, the pack house receptionist. "Alpha!" She said, "I didn't know you could dance so well. I hope you'll save me a dance like that." He could smell the wine on her breath.

"Hello Holly," he said, keeping an eye on where Paige was going. "Excuse me, I need to attend to something." He tried to step pass her.

"Wait!" She grabbed his arm. "Alpha, I wanted to dance with you." She started pawing at him.

"Perhaps another time." He said. When Holly turned him around he lost sight of Paige. He started looking around frantically. Holly kept putting her hands all over him and he kept removing them. He caught Patrick's eye and he made his way over.

"Holly! How are you? How would you like to step outside with me?" He didn't give her time to reply before pulling her away.

"But-" and they were gone. Nathan turned in a circle trying to find her. Malcolm's panic fueling his own. It took everything he had to keep it from showing on his face. If he panicked then the pack would panic and that would lead nowhere good. Allen, having seen him and Holly from across the floor but being to far away, arrived by his side.

"Alpha, what's wrong?"

"Have you seen Paige?" He asked in a low but urgent voice.

"Not since your dance. You two seemed pretty cozy. Are things better?"

"No, I mean yes, that was-" He ran his finger through his hair. "She acted like that was a onetime thing, like it was just a final goodbye. She ran off before I could say anything. I have to find her."

"Okay well, its her brothers binding so its not like she could go far. You keep doing your Alpha thing, I'll find her." Nathan took a large breath as he walked away. Malcolm whimpered. "Allen, will find her boy. It's okay, we won't lose her. Not again."