Chapter Twenty Eight-Nathan

"Where did Doctor Lawrence say he was going to meet us?" Paige asked.

"His office," Patrick answered. "He'll take us to this other wolf after introductions are made."

"In that case you'll want to park on Harrison Ave. The humanities building has the worst parking. Harrison is the closest street with on street parking and it's usually pretty empty this time of day. Take a left on Lexington and a left on Mt Beacon then it'll be a left on to Harrison."

"Three lefts?" Patrick asked.

"Harrison's a one way street."

"Half the streets in Boston are a one way street," he grumbled.

"Which is why I never drove here." Nathan saw his beta struggle to keep a smile off his face. He may be wary of Paige, of her potential to hurt him, but Nathan could tell Patrick was beginning to like her.

They pulled up to the building and found a parking spot pretty quickly. The other SUV which had been following them so far drove past them. Nathan saw Paige's questioning look. "They're gonna circle the block a few times and then park until needed."

They trudged their way across campus to the humanities building. Nathan was oscillating between worry for Paige and wanting to get to know this part of her. The girl who had run away to the human world, who started at a community college and was now graduating with her PhD. He subconsciously reached out for her hand and was thrilled when she took it before he could rein himself in. She naturally wanted to be close to him too. He didn't care whether it was the mate bond or their history causing it. He was just happy her hand was in his. It became his life line as the entered the building. He could smell rouges as soon as they stepped inside. Patrick and Micah smelled them too and both tensed up a bit. Ready for anything.

Paige led them through the building. Up a flight of stairs, then across a floor, then up another two flights. "Sorry," she said as they started to climb another flight. "It's a really old building. It's actually two buildings they connected. The lay out can be a little confusing. But we're almost there." She peered around a corner and nodded to herself. "This is it." She dragged Nathan down the hall. She hadn't let go of his hand the whole time.

"Professor Moran?"

"Paige?" A voice called out, "Paige Robins is that you?" The reached an office and she walked inside with out knocking. "It is you, my dear girl." He got up from around his desk. Nathan was doing all he could to keep Malcolm calm. He really did not like being here.

The Professor moved towards Paige and gave her a hug but quickly let go when Nathan released a low growl.

"My apologies, Alpha."

Paige looked back at Nathan as his words as the growl was too low for her to hear. She stepped closer to him. "It's okay, look at how he's standing, his body language. He means me no harm. He's more like a father to me than anything else."

Nathan took a large breath as he took in the wolf in front of him. The rouge professor looked to be about forty-five, with brown hair that was greying at the temples. He looked at how the Professor looked at Paige and saw that he had fatherly affection in his gaze. He took another large breath.

"No, I'm sorry. Rouges killed my entire family. It's difficult to set that aside."

"An Alpha who apologizes." A wry smile spread across his face. "My dear girl, you have found yourself a diamond in the rough. Thank you, Alpha. I can understand your predicament. Dr. Lawrence said your pack suffered greatly in the most recent rouge wars. I am sorry for your loss."

Nathan nodded at the wolf, not trusting himself to say the right thing. The Professor looked up at Patrick and Micah as if noticing them for the first time. Paige saw his questioning look.