11. Aakarshan

VIDYUT

My life revolved around two things, my work and my sister. But watching, standing from the distance my wife hugging some other man. The wave of anger and possessiveness over her overpowered me.

And I dragged her, my fury ran deep in me, but her standing across from me with those brown fearful eyes that landed on me, reminded me that my madness was lethal for her.
I am not the man she will ever want, and my loss of grip on my wrath will only scare her and push her further.

But the moment I told what I ran deep in me, she told me so simply.

I know

And I wanted to believe that she did understand me.
The rest of the function with the same sense of obsession to remind the entire town that she is my wife and no young man can spare a second glance at her.

I stuck her on my side, and she slowly glanced towards me, occasionally, throughout.
I wonder sometimes what runs in her young head.

But with finally the sister resting in peace.

We were headed back to normal lives. It was hard for her, but she was accustomed to the situation.

*****

She and Manya are getting along, from what I witness from the other side of the table. A routine, we all have adapted ourselves into, breakfast and that's it.

I sometimes get to see her, sitting in the bed scrolling through her phone, and sometimes she hides herself under the duvet.

And this couch is turning my bones to shatter every day.

I watched her smiling at the end of the table, where Manya said something, and abruptly the food slipped and I ended up coughing heavily,

I hid myself under my palm, while I coughed, suddenly a glass of water was in my sight and a familiar hand.

She slid the chair and handed me the water when I took it from her and gulped down, restraining my coughing.
"You have already started coughing like an old man!" She said in a joking tone, sitting cross, with her legs stacked on one another.

"Thank you," I said keeping the glass down, and ignored her words.

She smiled, and my eyes stuck to her face for as long as that smile lasted, it was a rare sight. I never saw that smile, not at least directed towards me.

She pushed a handkerchief towards me, "Something on your face! You have started spilling like an old man!" She said again.

And I feel like, she is trying to mess with me. I guess the peace treaty between us from the last week, has made her life boring.

I took the tissue and whipped my face.
"I am done!" I heard Manya say and she stood, and she walked away.
Sarisha turned back to meet me.

"So, old man?" She said again, and I dropped my spoon and clutched my fingers together, and elbows on the table,
"Yes, young woman!"

"Oh, so Manya was here? That's why you ignored me two times?"

"You are bothered I did?"

"Well, you are the only source of entertainment in this house! I was bored not bothered!" She scrunched her nose and nodded while tilting her head.

I chuckled at her, and she fumbled with her finger because she looked up to meet my eyes again. "I am going to college from tomorrow, and since we hardly see each other during the day, I thought I should tell you!" She asked me.

It was strange to see her nervous, she was uneasy, I could sense her fear far from the table. "If that's what you want?" I told her. And she looked up with her eyes lightening, she smiled again and I wished internally that this time it would last longer and it did.