ch 12. Life in danger

As me and Cassandra fell onto the rapid waters below...we got caught by the strong waves but I manage to swim on it a bit, I look around for Cassandra...it's hard to see anything from how strong the flow of this river is. But luckily ..I see her I quickly tried to swim to her to no avail..she's trashing around, it seems that she's far more injured than expected

When I finally caught her hand I pulled he close to me as I try my hardest to swim onto something..more of this and the both of us will absolutely die, luckily enough.. I saw a log which I hold onto while I'm holding her in my arms..until we find ourselves in a unidentified place...

It was a river side full of pebbles, I breath through my mouth heavily as I try to catch my breath after almost drowning but it seems that Cassandra is in a different situation as I as, she's not responding..

I quickly got up and check if she's breathing...she's not

I remember my time in my original world, I once learned how to do cpr for extra credits and so I starts doing it..

If I can remember.... make sure to clear the mouth keep close for her breathing.. make sure her airways are open for breathing..30 chest  compressions and then blow into her mouth to give rescue breaths, I continue to do so until she starts breathing blowing out the water that she had taken in her.

"Y-you" she looks at me as she catches her breath

Is she..wait- oh no "i-i only did it to save your life! I have zero intentions!"

"What?" She then sat down "what happen?"

...uhh..it seems that that I'm wrong

"We fell down the cliff onto the river below..you almost drowned"

"I see...so once again you saved me..ngghnn.." the crossbow bolt is still stuck on her shoulders..she pulled it out and uses her magic to stop the bleeding by covering it with ice " we should move... it might be dangerous to stay-" she suddenly almost fell onto the ground but I caught her before she does..

"Hey! Are you alright!?" No, if it's only that  bolt...she will be absolutely fine..and it seems that her fall onto the water isn't that bad also..no..

Her breaths is getting heavier and heavier rather than turning normal, that crossbow bolt is..

I carried her on my back and just starts sprinting..I can't believe it- of course they will use some kind of poison on their weapons! They are assassin..I have to die..

"To think that I might die here..." what's the hell is she saying!?  This isn't the time to say those words!

"You're not gonna die! What the hell is wrong with you!"

Her breathing became worst..I can also feel her body becoming colder..no thanks to how wet we are, I dunno how long we are floating in that river, and how long she had this poison in her but I need to be quick ..find a road. I look at the sky above..it's already dusk!? We started that exam at midday..how long are we floating!?

I need to be quick or else she will die

"Why are you trying so hard... you barely know me"

"Bullshit! We're friends!"

"Friends..are we really?"

"Yes we are! Together with Anna and Thomas! So just shut up and save your strength"

". . . . I'm. . I'm honored"

And then finally...I saw smoke in the distance, is that a house in the middle of the woods? That smoke...it means someone lives there, I need to check I might get some help.

And so I knock on the door "hello! Is anybody home!? Please open the door my friend is poisoned!"

I was about to lose hope about the household owner when it finally opens..inside is an elf with orange hair and green eyes wearing a long outfit similar of that of mages but with a brown cloth draping down her shoulder and back

She look at me..but quickly her attention was taken by the girl I'm carrying behind my back

"Get her in now!" She shouted

I have no choice but to trust this stranger...

"Put her on that table quick!" The elf uses her hand to get everything off the table for me to lay Cassandra "what happen to her!? This poison.."

"She's been attacked by assassins..she got hit by crossbow bolt on her shoulders"

"I see, held her upper body up quick"

She grabs some paste of sort from one of the shelves and mixed with with hot water..the water became green the same color of the paste..the elf made Cassandra drink the potion..and after a while, her breathing became better once she drink it

"Would she be fine now?"

"Yes... Carry her to the spare room, oh..and I'll take care of her clothes so after you carry her in, I'll do the rest, please stay by the fireplace and get yourself dried"

And so I followed her instruction and help put Cassandra in the room and waited by the fireplace

She's almost died by assassination..but why her? People would not get her killed because of rumors of her bad reputation since that's a bit too much for that...did she perhaps butt head with someone in the academy? Or... someone getting rid of her because she's the fiance of the prince... it might not even a student who did that, it might be other nobles...it's disgusting how this people do this do this things so normally...

The door of the room opens and comes out the elf

"How is she?"

"She will be fine, her body is slowly recovering..but she needs sleep. Here.." she handed me clothing for men and a towel "you can change in the bathroom..you might get sick with those wet clothes, oh, and don't worry...I'm sure my husband won't mind you borrowing it"

I nod and went on to change my clothes.. it's a bit bigger for me but it fits

"So.. you two are students from the academy yes?"

"Yes"

"I see...please sit down, i'm sure that you're also really tired"

"Thank you ma'am...I'll make sure to repay you for this, thank you for helping us out"

"It nothing, I have the antidote for the poison.."

"What kind fo poison it is..and how.did you know it?"

"I'm an alchemist and an elf, I am proficient with this kind of things..and for the poison used..it's the venom of a venomous snake called the devil horned cobra..it's a very venomous snake..if you haven't find me...she might've died"

Then...I only have a few minutes... no..maybe seconds..I can't believe this

"Luckily for her the devil horned cobra is weak against the cold..it goes the same for it's venom.. my husband is a hunter and I prepare antidotes for him just in case..."

Hearing all this made my head hurt a bit..I feel very tired...it seems that the adrenaline that I've been feeling all this time is gone "thank you..for saving her"

"It's nothing, you two should stay here for the night..it's dangerous at night but with my protection barrier around the house, no danger will come at you"

"Thank you again ma'am"

I'm thankful...I'm really am..

_____________________

Meanwhile back at the others, a search party was made by the school..along with the people who search is Thomas who felt guilty over not able to protect his best friend..

Anna hearing the news..got very sad and couldn't stop crying and praying for her friends to be alive...she was consoled by the prince who is still in disguise when they meet

TO BE CONTINUED