Chapter 3

What a great start to my summer break. Note the sarcasm in my voice. I was quite happy up until my encounter with Landon Avery.

I wasn't sure whether or not I should tell my brother his former team's rival is in town. A part of me doesn't think it necessary to do so as I most likely won't see him again. But the other part of me is going to regret not warning Hayden if he runs into him just as I had.

When I got back home, without my smoothie and a newfound disdain for Landon, I plopped down on the couch with a huff of frustration.

My parents were back from their stay at the hotel. I thought they liked going there for the spa, but now I'm starting to think it's to get away from me and my siblings.

They make it seem like we asked to be here. It's not our fault our parents are a bunch of dammed rabbits in heat.

My dad, who was sitting on the couch scrolling through his phone, stopped to look over at me. "What's wrong, Harps?"

I knew he didn't actually want to know. At least not right after the relaxing little vacation he had with my mom. But I'd made it quite obvious that I was in the mood to rant, and he couldn't ignore me even if he tried.

I shoved my face into one of the blue throw pillows on the couch and groaned. I lift my head to see my dad staring down at me with a knowing gaze.

"Who are they, and what did they do to my princess?"

I sat up, clutching the pillow to my chest as I spoke. "Remember Landon Avery? The guy Hayden used to get into fights with when he was still captain of the lacrosse team?"

He nodded, his brow raising. "Yes. What about him?"

"Well, I ran into him today at that juice bar I like so much. He made me drop my smoothie." My face melted into a frown, anger and frustration from the encounter still lingering like a bad aftertaste.

"Did he apologize?"

"Yeah, but once he realized it was me, he didn't seem as sorry as before."

I decided to leave out the stuff he said about leaving me to drown and how he'd be happier with one less Isaacs around. I didn't need my dad calling up Uncle Everett so they could go beat his ass.

While I would love to see that, I doubt he'll be a problem after today. Landon goes to an entirely different university, and since it's summer break and the lacrosse season is over, he has no reason to be anywhere near me.

****

I was watering the plants in my room when Hayden popped his head into the doorway.

"Yo."

He made his way over, eyeing the spider plant my mom gave me a few months ago. He gently ran his fingers through the growing greenery and looked at me. "Heard you ran into Landon."

"Yeah," I muttered. "He hasn't changed much. Still very much an asshole."

Hayden huffed a laugh before his brows dipped into a serious frown. "Are you okay?"

I knew what he meant by that question. Seeing Landon brought back a memory I've tried so hard to forget. Me drowning in a pool, and everyone around me laughing while I thought I was dying. People don't talk about it as much as they did when it first happened, but just like I haven't forgotten, they haven't either.

Even if they tried to forget, the video is all over the media. And although my dad did his best to get the video erased off of every social media platform, plenty of people still have it on their phones.

"I'm fine, Hays."

His eyes turned to slits. Not convinced, he grabbed my hand. "Look me in my eyes when you say it, Harps."

I slowly turned my head and said, "I'm fine. I promise."

I honestly should have let your undeserving ass drown. I'd have one less annoying Isaacs to deal with.

I forced a smile onto my face so my brother would stop trying to investigate. Telling him what Landon had said would be just as bad as telling my dad. And I don't need any more drama.

"You're a terrible ass liar, sis."

I smacked his hand away, rolling my eyes. "Whatever." I resumed watering my plants and decided to change the subject by asking about Olive.

Hayden leaped onto my bed, making himself comfortable on my once neatly made bed. "She's great. She's been focusing a lot more on her art ever since she received early admission into that one art school."

I was proud of Olive. She deserved it and so much more. The shit she had to deal with when that video of her and my brother was posted online- it made my incident a lot less significant. I just couldn't imagine the world seeing me in such a vulnerable moment. Then again, drowning is pretty damn vulnerable.

"Harper Liliana Isaacs," my brother called, pulling me away from my thoughts. "Are you even listening to me?"

"No," I admitted. "What did you say?"

My brother rolled his eyes. "I asked if you were coming to the bonfire tomorrow."

That's tomorrow? I completely forgot. Every year, my parents throw a bonfire beach party in honor of our uncle. I honestly don't see the appeal to paying money to man I've never met, but at least it's for a good cause. From what my dad describes, my uncle Mason was a lot like my brother Mason and would have loved the idea of being able to have fun and raise money for charity at the same time.

Last year, the money went towards cancer research. This year, the money will be going towards orphanages. It was actually Declan and my cousin Paxton's idea. Now that they have kids, they're even more passionate about it.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I may skip it."

It's not like I ever get in the water anyway. And besides, I am getting sick and tired of getting hit on by drunk, random guys -and girls- just looking for their five minutes of fame. Since my brothers are taken, they try to go through me and adeleine. If they can even get past our overprotective brothers.

"I think you should come." Hayden sat up. "At least for an hour."

My eyes narrowed in suspicion. It's not like him to convince me to go to a party. Especially when he can hardly stand them himself.

"There's something you're not telling me. So spit it out."

He sighed. "Okay, so Olive may have accidentally set you up on a double date with us."

"What? Why the hell-"

Then it all made sense. I helped her, and now she's trying to pay back the favor. The only thing is, Olive has had one boyfriend in her whole life. Which just so happens to be my brother. No offense to him, but her taste in men is horrible. I've seen the celebrity men she likes.

"I'm definitely not going now."

"I told her you'd hate the idea, but she said you'd like this guy."

I sighed. "What's his name?"

"Miles."

I froze. "Miles, as in the one who was in our art class?"

He nodded.

My face heated up. I had such a big crush on Miles. He's intelligent, artistic like me, and he's freaking adorable. I was so ready for summer break that I'd forgotten all about him.

"Damn, your face is red as hell."

I frowned, replying with a snarky remark. "Thank you, captain obvious."

Hayden flashed me a cheesy grin. "You're welcome."

After telling him I'd think about it, I kicked him out of my room and called Olive so I could scold her for playing Cupid.