Chapter 18

"What's with the sad face, Harps?" Harlynn asked me.

I felt bad because I was supposed to be helping Harlynn choose a wedding venue. Her and Mason couldn't decide, so she asked me and Aya to help out.

But my mind is still on Landon. Ever since the conversation I had with Kai the other day, I can't stop wondering. I mean, if Landon's not the same as Kai says, then why hasn't Landon spoken to me himself?

"I need some advice," I admit.

I inform my sister-in laws of everything that has happened from beginning to end. Nothing is left out. I let everything out into the open, including my feelings about the whole thing.

I take a breath when I've finished. Both Harlynn and Aya are looking and smiling at me like they have a secret only they know.

"What?" I question in confusion.

"You're an Isaacs," they both say simultaneously, nodding their head as if that knowledge somehow resolved my dilemma.

"I know that, but what does that have to do-"

"Isaacs like a challenge," Harlynn explained.

"They often fall for people they least expect," Aya adds. "Declan did it."

"So did Mason," Harlynn says. "And I'm going to bet Hayden's right there with his brothers."

I nodded. It made sense. My parents. My brothers. And now me. I guess I should have known considering the track record my family has when it comes to the people they fall in love with.

My mom and grandmother always joke about the Isaacs curse. I didn't know girls could get it too.

"I suppose I'm a little lost as to what you guys are trying to tell me."

Harlynn smiles and says, "Go after what you want."

"Did you guys miss the part where I hate him? Oh, and that he's Hayden's rival?"

"From what you told us, it sounds like your feelings for him outweigh the hate."

Even so, who's to say Landon's hate for me doesn't outweigh everything else? He's made it quite clear that he wants nothing to do with me. If I go after what I want, like Harlynn and Aya are suggesting, and Landon rejects me... I don't know that my heart can bear it.

"And Hayden?"

Hayden specifically told me not to pursue any of his friends, his teammates, and anyone on the rival teams. He might not be playing Lacrosse anymore, but the rule still stands. It's how it's always been since we were little and I was okay with that. Besides, he'd do the same for me.

"He'll understand," Aya replies with a nod, sounding so sure of herself that I want so desperately to believe her. But in truth, there was no telling how Hayden would react. This has never happened before.

An hour and half later, Harlynn finally decided on a wedding venue. It was located in the park where they met. It has a beautiful garden and an amazing view of the beach. I think it's perfect for them, and don't have a doubt in my mind that Mason will agree.

I left my brother and his fiancée's place a complete nervous wreck. I was going to take their advice and go after what I want.

I've never done this before. I don't even know how to go about it. I just got in my car and started driving. My fingers tighten around the steering wheel the closer I get to Landon's place.

My heart rattles within the confines of my ribcage. So many thoughts and scenarios are running through my head. I'm trying to think of the scenarios that end well, but the only ones that come to mind are the bad.

Turning left onto his street, I can see his house down the block. I start to slow down, wondering if I should turn back. God, what am I doing? This is so stupid.

I decide I'm going to make a U-turn and head home. But before I can carry out my escape, a car behind me honks their horn.

"Damn it." I speed up. My heart rate spikes as I pull to a stop in front of Landon's home.  I suppose there's no turning back now. I get out of the car, every breath that leaves me a shaky one.

Walking up to the front porch, I ring the doorbell. I start to turn after a second, comtemplating whether or not I'll be able to escape before someone answers the door.

The door opens before I can even get a foot off the first step. I swallow and turn back around.

Another shaky breath leaves me, this one filled with relief. It's not Landon. It's one of his roommates. I think his name is Theodore. He's handsome too. But in an adorable brother kind of way.

I give him a small, nervous wave and an awkward smile.

His cheeks pinken in color. "Hi. Harper, right?"

"Yeah. Um, is Landon here?"

He shakes his head. "Nah. He just left for the airport."

The airport? I'm both relieved and disappointed.

Another one of Landon's roommates appear at the door. James. I remember him from beer pong. "Yo, Chip. Who's at the- oh." He doesn't sound pleased to see me. "Kai's not here."

"Actually, I'm here for-"

"Landon's not here either."

I bite my tongue to keep from calling him out on his attitude and obvious shade. "I heard," I reply, beginning my descent down the steps.

This was a mistake. Landon's not here. And it looks like his friends don't want anything to do with me either.

"But," It's James' voice I hear. I stop before I reach the last step. "You may be able to catch him before he leaves. He left about ten minutes ago."

I look over my shoulder to see Theodore smiling. He gives me a nod as if to say, "go after him."

And so, like a cliche romance movie, I get back in my car and I race to the nearest airport.