Chapter 22

The trip to New York was cut short. Mrs. Avery decided to stay a little longer to make sure her husband signed the divorce papers while Landon and I headed back to face the music.

We'd hopped on a flight back to California bright and early the next morning. My parents were pissed when I told them I'd flown out to New York.

They didn't understand why I didn't tell them until I told them the whole story with Landon.

My dad wouldn't stop anxiously pacing the living room floor while my mom sighed, her hand on her hip. "Does Hays know?"

I shook my head. My dad threw his hands up in the air, his anxiety increasing. "Oh for fucks sake."

"I'm going to tell him eventually," I said from on the couch. When the time is right, of course. Though I'm not too sure there will ever be a right time when it comes to this.

Some time in the afternoon, after raising my dad's blood pressure from my confession, I went over to Olive's house. I'd been texting her throughout this whole thing, so she's pretty familiar with the situation.

She's hated not being able to tell Hayden, but knew it wasn't for her to tell. "I really appreciate you supporting me in all this," I tell her.

She popped a chip into her mouth, nodding. She had been so shocked when I told her I went to New York with Landon. That's what made her realize my feelings for Landon were real.

"No problem, Harps. I know exactly what you are going through."

Olive is the daughter of my brother's coach. What started out as tutoring sessions for a class they shared together turned into something more. Hayden's coach was not happy about it but knew that if anyone should date his daughter, it was him.

That's why a part of me thinks Hayden will understand and should understand. It's not like I pursued Landon or lied about my hatred towards him. Things between us simply changed. And we realized that we liked one other far more than we hated each other.

Olive stuffed another chip into her mouth, my attention drawn away from her when my phone pinged with a notification.

Landon: I need to see you.

We haven't seen or spoken to each other since we landed back in California. The plan was to give me some time to tell Hayden about us.

But being away from Landon was a lot harder than I thought. So when he texted me, I knew I needed to see him.

"Was that him?" Olive inquired.

I nodded just as my brother's voice sounded from feet behind me. "Yo, mom and dad just told me you were in New York all this time."

Shit.

I flipped my phone over, Olive noting my nervous expression as she turned to hug and kiss my brother. "Hey, Isaacs. I thought I wasn't seeing you until later?"

"Grey had an emergency, so his band practice ended early." He gives his girlfriend another kiss before bringing his attention back to me. "Why didn't you tell me you were going to New York? I would have loved to come with you."

My phone pings again. "It was a last-minute decision."

"What the hell was in New York anyway?" And again. His eyes flicker to my phone.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and forced myself to take a breath. "Hayden, there's um... something-"

Olive grabs my brother by his shirt, tugging him towards her room. "Since you're here, let's go play video games. I've been dying to beat you in COD."

Hayden's attention is torn from me as he's led over to the staircase. "Beat me?" He laughs. "I love you, but I don't know about that one."

"If you win..." She whispers something in his ear, and his cheeks heat up.

"Fuck, pearl."

Olive gives me a quick glance, urging me to go with her eyes. I take her up on the offer and rush to my car. I thought I was ready to tell Hayden, but I think he's going to need to be high out of his mind before I say anything.

****

"I'm scared," I admit to Landon.

We were cuddling in his bed, our bodies flush against each other. I've been wrapped in his arms for about an hour now. He plants a kiss on my shoulder, murmuring, "Just let me handle your brother."

"I don't know, Landon. You two have never gotten along. And he's just as stubborn as you are."

The idea of putting Landon and Hayden in one room together sounds like a set-up for disaster. They have hated each other since the ninth grade. That's a long time to hate someone. But then again, I guess I can't really talk since I'd hated him since freshman year.

I'm gently pushed onto my back, Landon hovering over me. "So we tell him together."

"Tag team him? Oh, he's so going to kick your ass."

"I can handle it, freckles. It won't be the first time he and I have gotten into it."

He's right. It won't be the first. But hopefully, this will be the last. I need this to work. I need my boyfriend and my brother to get along. I pause, realizing I've just said boyfriend. Is that what we are? Boyfriend and girlfriend?

"Before we tell my brother, I need to know what this is. Is it just sex? Was I just your girl with your parents or-"

Landon's brows knit together. And the sudden seriousness on his face makes me nervous. "I agree. We need to know what this is first. And since I want to do things the right way-" He clears his throat. "Harper, will you go on a date with me?"

I nodded, the nerves I felt taking root in the pit of my stomach fading away. He releases a breath, relief written all over his face. "You thought I was going to say no?" I ask in realization.

Pink tinted his cheeks as he replied softly with a, "Yeah."

"Why would you think that? I'm in your bed -naked- and preparing to tell my brother about us."

"You're too damn good for me, Harper Isaacs." He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. "And your brother knows it."

"Maybe so, but I'm better with you. And happier too."

Landon drops his head, burying it in the crook of my neck. "Fucking hell, freckles," he says with a groan. "What have you done to me? My heart feels like it's beating outside my chest."

"The feeling is mutual, frat boy," I reply while running my fingers through his hair.

The feeling is mutual.