Chapter 34

One week later (Epilogue Pt. 1)
I'm nervous. Really nervous. Olive and I somehow got our boyfriends to agree to a double date. Hayden and Landon have kept their interactions minimal. They may acknowledge each other every once in a while with a head nod or a glance, but it's obvious there is still some tension between them. It's not as much as it used to be, but it hasn't completely resolved either.

I honestly didn't expect it to. They're both very competitive and will use every opportunity to challenge one another. When we had our family game night the other night, they were worse than Mason and Silas. They played Connect Four and managed to turn that into the most competitive and intense game we've ever had. I'm so glad my parents decided not to include Jenga this time around. I'm positively certain that would have turned into a bloodbath.

My knee bounced underneath the table as my brother and his girlfriend entered the restaurant. Olive chose a little spot that served sandwiches, soup, and salad. The place had dim lighting and a nice view of the ocean. It was meant to be calming, but I couldn't help but feel like this double date thing was a bad idea.

Olive and I thought a double date would force them to get the guys to have to get to know each other more. We are hoping that with us by their side that they will be more willing and comfortable to open up to one another. 

Those two only tolerate each other for my sake. And I honestly think they could be great friends if they really tried.

Landon tore his gaze from the ocean and placed his hand over my knee. In an instant, my knee stopped moving and my nerves were gone.

I knew Landon would rather be anywhere but here, but I appreciated his willingness to do this for me. I gave him a small smile before greeting Olive and Hayden. They slid into the booth, Hayden opposite Landon and Olive opposite me.

Olive and I shared a nervous glance. Hayden didn't look like he wanted to be here either. Olive cleared her throat. "So, what have you guys been up to today?" She directed the question towards me and Landon, trying to strike up a conversation in an attempt to break the awkward tension.

"Nothing much," I replied, gazing over at Landon, who was back to looking out the window. "We went to the arcade and I beat him in a game of table hockey."

Landon perked up beside me, chiming in when he heard me brag about my win against him. "She only won because I accidentally knocked the puck into my own goal. Besides, I destroyed her in every other game we played."

"A win is a win, babe." 

Landon's eyes rolled, his lip lifting into a half smile.

After a waiter came back to take down our orders, we started up a new conversation about sports. Olive and I weren't sports people at all. Even though she plays soccer for our school, she'd rather read and I'd rather garden. We just knew the guys wouldn't be able to resist the topic.

All I did was toss in a comment about how Tom Brady is the greatest football player ever, and the then the two of them started using all kinds of sports terms. I don't know shit about Tom Brady or football. I just picked the first name that popped up on Google when I searched 'popular football players.'

Olive grinned happily in her seat. Landon and Hayden were finally talking to each other. They were talking about last Sunday's football game, which quickly bored me and Olive. So she and I decided to freshen up in the bathroom.

I stood in front of the mirror, reapplying a pink lip gloss that Landon says tastes like cotton candy. Olive was fixing her hair, the both of us giggling because our plan worked.

When we returned to the booth, our food had arrived. I slid back into my seat and eyed my bowl of loaded baked potato soup. It looked and smelled amazing.

Hayden ordered the same thing I did, Olive got a fruit salad, and Landon got an Italian sub that I was definitely going to steal a bite from later.

Over the course of the double date, the tension broke bit by bit. Olive and I quickly discovered that our boyfriends banter like an old married couple. Those two debated about everything and hardly ever came to an agreement.

"Okay," Olive said with a roll of her eyes. "You two can shut up now. We all know DC would destroy Marvel in a fight."

"Thank you," Landon said, reaching across the table to high-five Olive.

Hayden frowned at his girlfriend. "Wait, so the other day, when we had this discussion, you were only agreeing with me so you could get in my pants?"

She blushed and nodded. "Sorry, babe." She shrugged and the two of them started up their own conversation. Luckily, it didn't sound like Hayden was too mad.

My gaze flickers to my boyfriend as I angle my body towards him. "So, are you two like best buds now?" I had the biggest smile on my face, my gaze hopeful that the feud between the guys was squashed. Permanently.

Landon's eyes narrow. "I knew you two were planning something. I caught the smiles and glances between the two of you."

"Damn, and I thought we were being sneaky." My shoulders slumped at the realization, my bottom lip protruding out into a pout.

"No, not at all." Landon kissed my forehead. "But thank you anyway." I mumbled a 'you're welcome', my gaze now fixated on his half eaten sandwich. He noticed, a small smile playing on his lips as he pushed the plate in my direction.

"Really?" I questioned in surprise and excitement.

He nodded. "Why do you think I ordered this and not the meatball sub? I knew you would want some."

I picked up the sandwich and took a bite. All kinds of spices cause a burst of flavor in my mouth. "Mmm. I seriously love you, frat boy."

"I seriously love you too, freckles."