Chapter 20

There's only one bed. Once again, I hadn't been thinking. Mrs. Avery had planned a trip for two, not three.

We were standing in one of the luxury suites at the Four Seasons trying to figure out how to make this work. Landon offered to sleep on the couch, desperately trying to sleep anywhere but in a room with me.

He'd already tried speaking to the receptionist at the front desk when he found out his mom had only gotten a suite for two. Unfortunately, they were booked up and had no more rooms available for months.

"You're not sleeping on the couch, Landon," Mrs. Avery states firmly. "You'll mess up your back."

"I don't mind sleeping on the couch," I say, hoping that will ease some of the tension that's been building since we left for New York.

Both Landon and his mom whip their heads in my direction, practically biting my head off. "You're not sleeping on the couch!" They both shout at the same time.

Everyone's on edge. Mrs. Avery takes a breath. "No one is sleeping on the couch. Or on the floor," she adds quickly, eyeing her son.

"Whatever." His blue eyes flicker to me, filled with an annoyance I'm very accustomed to. "Stay on your side of the bed."

I watch as Landon disappears into the room, slamming the door closed behind him. Mrs. Avery sighs and retreats to her own room, leaving me all alone.

Okay...

My stomach grumbles in the silence. I'd slept for most of the plane ride and haven't had anything since this morning.

So I rummage around in the kitchen, hoping to find something to eat. I'm overjoyed when I find that the place is stocked with all kinds of snacks.

I reach for the licorice, Oreos, Doritos, and sour patch kids. Then I grab a pop from the refrigerator and start snacking.

For the next hour, I snack and wander around the suite. I've never stayed in a Four Seasons hotel before. Especially a suite. My dad has his own hotel so I never felt the need to go anywhere else.

But this is really nice. Real upperclass. There's a huge window outlooking the city and it's setup is like a modern open floor apartment. There's enough space for up to twenty people.

Curious to see what the room looks like, I go over to the room I'll be sharing with Landon. I don't hear anything. Maybe he's sleep. He did say he was tired.

I knock twice. No answer. Thinking maybe he was sleep, I open the door and slip into the room. The room is just as fancy as the rest of the suite.

My eyes immediately drift to the king sized bed. Landon was no longer there, but there was definitely signs of sleep. The bed wasn't made up and there was a slight dent in one of the pillows.

I took a seat on the edge of the bed, munching on the red licorice in my hand. That's when I heard the shower running. I didn't know there was a bathroom connected to the room.

I swallow, fixated on the door. Landon's in there. I shift in my seat, moths fluttering in my stomach. The fluttering intensifies when the water stops and the door opens.

Landon walks out dripping wet with a towel hanging off his hips. I swallow the licorice in my mouth. I always knew Landon was attractive. But I hadn't realized how attractive until now.

Droplets of water glide down his chest, slipping between the crevices of his abs before disappearing into the towel.

He has another birthmark on his pelvis. It's just as jaggedly beautiful as the one on his face. Why hadn't I noticed that before? At the party? Suppose I was too busy gloating from my victory in beer pong.