Chapter 10

"Have a great day," I tell the customer who just purchased a bouquet of flowers with a smile, as they head out the door. 

That was our last customer of the day and I couldn't wait to finally start closing up shop. I exhaled, my aunt chuckling as she walked past with freshly picked Lilies from the greenhouse.

Today had been a busy one. People had been coming in and out purchasing flowers for a variety of special occasions. Birthdays, Anniversaries, those that were sick and needed a little something to brighten their day, and that's just to name a few.

I locked the front door and turned the light to the open sign off. "Thank you so much for all your help, Harper,"  my aunt said as I returned to the front counter.

I smiled. "Of course." I really should be thanking her for giving me a job this summer. Besides, I really enjoy being around nature. It's calming.

It didn't take us long to close for the night. We finished all our closing tasks in less than thirty minutes and went our separate ways.

When I got home, I hopped into the shower, and changed into a cropped blue blouse and light denim shorts. I have about an hour to get ready before Miles gets here.

He and I were going to the movies with Hayden and Olive. It was some action movie Hayden's been raving about for the last few weeks.

I was looking all around for my mascara. I checked in my makeup bag. I checked in the bathroom. I checked in my purse. I checked in every place I thought it might be, but it was nowhere to be found.

I was in a hurry, so I knocked on my sister's door to see if I could borrow hers for now. I heard footsteps and then the door was opened. I entered her room, wondering where her makeup bag was. 

"Can I borrow your mascara? Miles is going to be here soon."

"Yeah." She pointed to her vanity mirror where her mascara and other makeup cosmetics were. I sat in the chair and hurriedly applied the mascara to my lashes. "Got another date night with Miles?"

"Mhm. We're going to the movies."

"Sounds like you two are getting serious."

Once finished with the mascara, I put it back and swiveled around to face my sister. "I don't know," I answered. "Maybe. It's still pretty new."

Adeleine nodded. "Miles is nice. I like him."

"But?" I questioned with a raised brow, knowing one was coming.

"But, he's not your usual go-to in men. Though I suppose it's a good thing since those men never really worked out."

All of the men I've dated in the past were the complete opposite of Miles. Extroverts with strong opinions. They challenged me. It's what attracted me to them in the first place.

Miles is sweet, soft-spoken and loves art just as much as I do. It's what I like so much about him. He's warm and cozy like hot cocoa by the fire. Everything they're not.

"So you approve?"

Her lips pull into a smile. "Yeah. Have fun at the movies."

****

Hayden dropped us off at the front of the theater while he went to park the car. We headed inside to get our tickets before standing in line for popcorn and snacks.

Miles offered to pay for my snacks. I declined, telling him I could pay for it myself but he insisted. He said it was a date and that I shouldn't have to pay for a date he suggested.

Olive was like a giddy schoolgirl beside me. She gently bumped into me to get my attention, a smile on her face as if my brother isn't the same way towards her.