Chapter 14

Harper's POV
I wanted to have sex with Landon Avery. The fact of that knowledge brought about mixed emotions. I didn't how to feel when it came to him. I thought I was sure. I thought feeling any emotion other than hate was impossible.

Releasing a exasperated groan into my pillow, I got up out of bed. I needed to clear my head.

I took a quick shower this morning. I didn't want to give my brain the chance to think about Landon any more than it already has been.

I'd thrown on a white tank top and a pair of white sweatpants I stole out of Adeleine's room. She's always taking my clothes without permission so I started doing the same.

Trudging into the living room where my parents were, I sat on the opposite end of the couch. My parents were cuddled up together, heavily immersed in the newest season of The Bachelor.

My dad glanced in my direction. "Hey, princess. Doing anything fun today?"

"Nope." I was still a little hungover from last night and decided it was time I eased back a little on the partying.

"Do you want to hang out with us?" My mom asked. "We're binging The Bachelor since we're a little behind."

"Pass." The last time I stayed and watched anything with them, I fell asleep and woke up an hour later to them practically dry humping each other.

Okay, so maybe I'm being a bit dramatic. They were just kissing. But it was still pretty scarring.

"Well, maybe you could spend time with your brother. Mason's at the soup kitchen right now. I'm sure he could use your help."

I nodded. Now that I was willing to do.

****

Mason burst into laughter when I told him what happened with mom yesterday morning. "Mom acts like she's a saint, but Victor told me she was just as wild as the rest of us."

According to my uncle Everett, my dad was wilder.

Victor was our dad's personal driver. He's been around for a really long time. And when I mean a long time, I mean since before my parents even met.

I used the ladle to pour some Cheddar Broccoli soup into a bowl and handed it to a pregnant girl. She couldn't have been more than sixteen years old.

She thanked me and I passed on a smile before she walked over to one of the open tables and took a seat.

I was so glad my brother opened up this soup kitchen. I've always loved giving back to the community and it really puts a smile on my face knowing we're helping people in need.

"Her name is Jules." I tore my gaze from Jules to look at my brother. "She's a regular here. Her parents kicked her out after they found out she was pregnant."

I thought of my own parents. I was so glad they weren't like that. "How long has she been here?"

"About four months."

"And the father? Where is he?"

Mason shrugged. "I don't know. She doesn't really talk about him." Mason handed an appreciative customer a bread roll. "You know, she is looking for a job. You think you could hook her up at aunt Haley's spot?"

"Maybe. I'll ask."

****

For once, Hayden was at home. I didn't wait for an invitation as I waltzed into his room. He was on Facetime with Olive. She left for for Virginia about three hours ago. She has an Uncle, Aunt, and a few cousins out there.

Hayden's been moping around like a Zombie ever since she left. She's only going to be gone for a couple of days but the way he's been acting, you would think she's never coming back.

I leaped onto his bed, shoving him over to make room for me. "Can't you see I'm busy?"

I ignored him, taking the phone from him to speak with my best friend. "Hey, Olive."

"Hey, Harps."

We started talking about Virginia. She was telling me how beautiful it was in the summertime and that she's hoping to gain some insipiration from the nature around her.

I was in the middle of asking her about the kinds of plants and flowers they had when Hayden snatched the phone out of my hand.

"Hey," I protested.

"Get your own girlfriend and leave mine alone."

I stuck my tongue out at him. "Whatever." I said goodbye to Olive and left the room.

A few hours later, someone knocked on my bedroom door. I removed the earbuds from my ears and told whoever was on the other side to come in.

Hayden popped his head in. "I wanted to talk."

"About what?"

He closed my door and leaned against it. "Olive told me what happened with Landon last night."

Of course she did. I suppose I can't really be mad at her since I never told her not to tell him. Besides, I was going to tell Hayden at some point.

"Why didn't you tell me as soon as it happened?" I shot a glare his way. He sighed. "Ok, you're right. I would have beat his ass. But you and I both know he deserves it. He's an ass."

"I know."

"Are you sure you're okay though?" He asked after a moment.

"Yeah."

"Okay. I just want to make sure you're good."

I smiled. "Thanks."

After Hayden left, I put my earbuds back in and pressed play on my phone. I shuffled through my playlist for the next hour or so, listening to artists like Lana Del Rey and Adele.

I hummed along to "Someone Like You" by Adele. Songs that get me in my feelings are my favorite. And right now, I needed to feel something other than what I was starting to feel for Landon.

I don't know how to describe the feeling, but I wanted it gone. The butterflies. The moths. Whatever they were. I didn't want them there. They didn't belong there.

Bobbing my head to the song still blaring through my earbuds, I got a notifaction on Instagram. I received a direct message from someone who I wasn't familiar with. I ignored it, thinking maybe it was from someone trying to scam me or become my sugar daddy.

But then seconds later, my phone vibrated again. My interest was piqued. I opened the app and read the two texts I had been sent.

EllieGarcia55: He's not who you think he is.

EllieGarcia55: He played me too.

I wasn't sure who she was talking about. I was getting ready to block her when a picture popped up.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw. I thought maybe it wasn't him. But then I saw the wristband he always wears. I heart art.

There, in the picture, was Miles -without a doubt- kissing another girl at the exact same party I had been at last night.

Huh, I thought. Working late my ass.