Chapter 23

Landon's POV
I woke up alone in bed. My chest tightened at the thought that Harper had left. I hurriedly got out of bed and pulled on my boxers and a pair of shorts before stepping out into the hallway.

I checked the bathroom, but she wasn't in there either. The more I didn't see her, the more I couldn't breathe.

I heard voices in the kitchen and headed there next. "Hey guys, have you seen -"

Harper. She's standing at the stove, in my jersey, helping James cook breakfast. I let out the breath I had been holding, my heart racing, and my mind at ease.

She looks so beautiful. Her hair is all frizzy, and she's laughing with the guys as if she's known them her whole life.

"Morning, babe." She's got a spatula in her hand, the smell of pancakes permeating the air.

All of my friends are now looking at me with shit eating grins on their faces. "Come on, babe," James teases. "Why don't you take a seat."

"Yeah," Kai adds from beside Theodore, who hasn't stopped snickering. "Breakfast will be ready soon, honey bear."

"Fuck all of you, ass-hats," I say, flipping each and every one of my friends off.

Sitting in the chair next to Kai, all of my attention is back on Harper. She hands the spatula to James and leans forward on the island to kiss me. "What's with the sad face, frat boy?" She asks.

James has his back turned to me, focused on cooking while Kai and Theodore are immersed in their own sports conversation. None of them can hear me as I say, "I thought you left."

Harper grabs my chin with one hand, squishing my face so I look like a goldfish. "Aww, you're so adorable."

"Ah, shut up." I swat her hand away, and she laughs. "I knew I shouldn't have said anything to you," I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"You're right. You shouldn't have."

When breakfast is finally ready, the guys stack several pancakes and pieces of bacon on their plate. We're all athletes so we eat like fucking pigs. Especially Kai. James was getting ready to make Harper's plate before the guys devoured everything, but she declined. Harper, apparently, wasn't too hungry and ended up just eating off of mine.

"So you all have nicknames?" Harper questions, looking at each of my friends, starting with Kai, who salutes her and winks. "Snake."

I wished she didn't know firsthand why he was given that nickname, but I've since talked everything out with Kai. We're good. And I'll get over it. Eventually.

"Remy." James nods his head. She laughs at that one. "I love it." She looks at Theodore next, who blushes instantly. "Chip, right?"

"Yeah," he mutters.

"That's so fucking cute," she gushes, causing Theodore's face to redden even more. "But what about you?" She's looking at me now.

Except, my eyes have fallen to her slender legs as they swing back and forth on the counter she's sitting on. I started to think about how those legs were fastened around my waist last night as I-

"Your nickname is Major?" Harper's surprised and amused tone pulls me from the flashback I was having.

"Yeah, but they won't tell me why."

She looks at all the guys. They immediately start to giggle childishly. My eyes roll in annoyance.

"Is it Major because you're a 'major pain in the ass'?" Harper guesses.

Kai nearly falls out of his chair from laughter. James high-fives my girl, and Theodore is laughing so hard his face is cherry red. It all made sense now. My friends gave me that nickname when I became captain. They always did say I was harder on them than coach.

"I hate you cunts. You're going to be thanking me when you make into the NLL."

After breakfast, the gang disperses. James heads over to his girlfriends house. Theodore left to go work out and train for lacrosse next season. Kai didn't have to go to work today, so he decided to camp out in the living room with a cold one and his game console.

And I started getting ready for my date this afternoon. Harper left a little over ten minutes ago to get ready herself. She kept begging me for information about the date I had planned for us, but I held my ground. I just told her to dress comfortably.

I just got out of the shower, my towel on my head instead of around me. I thought I had locked the door until my friend barged into the room.

"Fuck, bro. Don't you know how to knock? I'm buck ass naked."

Kai smirks, his eyes lifting from my cock. "Don't get all shy on me now, Major. I've seen your ding-dong in the locker room plenty of times."

Everyone knows Kai goes both ways. He's never actually admitted to being straight, gay, or even bisexual. He's always been secure in his sexuality and likes getting people flustered and shit. Plus, he just likes sex.

I quickly grab my towel and secure it around my waist. "Annd you just made it weird. Now, what do you want so you can get the hell out?"

"There's a level I can't beat, and I need your help."

"Can't. I have a date."

"Really?" His interest is piqued, which was my mistake because now he really won't leave my room. "Where are you taking the curly haired firecracker?"

"To the beach."

"The beach? I thought she hated the water ever since the incident freshman year?"

"I didn't know she told you," I say, looking at him in surprise.

Things start to get even more awkward, making me wish he was still talking about my dick instead.

"Uh, yeah." He looks down at the floor for a brief moment before meeting my eyes again. "We talk sometimes. Is... that a problem for you?"

I give it some thought. Kai's my best friend, and I know he won't try and go after Harper. But the idea of them being close after she slept with him... I don't know.

"You're my best friend, Landon. I won't let anything get in between that."

"Even though you still have a crush on her?"

Kai told me how he caught feelings after they hooked up. I was angry with him at first. But he's promised me he won't interfere.

"I'll get over it. Promise."

"Okay."

He left the room, and that was that. I sighed. I believed Kai. He's not the kind of guy to go after another guy's girl. Or guy. It's just going to take me some getting used to with them being friends and all.