Chapter 4

Landon's POV
Releasing a tiresome groan of annoyance, I shove one of my pillows over my face. Kai Jimenez was at it again. It doesn't matter what time of day it is or where he's at, my roommate will always find the time to fuck.

The moaning became louder. I added on another pillow, trying to block out the sounds so I could get some sleep. That's when the headboard banging against the wall grew even louder and more aggressive.

I jolted up to a sitting position and chucked the pillow at the wall across from me. "Shut the fuck up!"

The sounds coming from within Kai's room never ceased. Realizing I wasn't going to be able to get anymore sleep, I got out of bed. After using the bathroom, I went into the kitchen where James Bennett, one of my other roommates, was cooking breakfast.

I slid onto the barstool, a yawn escaping me as I ran a hand through my hair. Theodore West, my other roommate and friend joined me at the island. He had heavy bags under his eyes, looking about as exhausted as the rest of us felt.

James turned, silver spatula in hand and a red apron on. "I would ask how you guys slept, but I'm pretty fucking sure it's about as well as I did."

I groaned. "I hope his fucking dick falls off."

"I heard that, gilipollas(dickhead)," Kai says, standing with a pretty blonde girl on his right and a dark haired guy on his left. Kai's still half naked, wearing only boxers while his two guests are dressed back in the clothes they wore last night.

My eyes rolled as Kai said his goodbyes to his guests. He made out with the both of them before telling them to call him again some time.

"Bye, Snake," the unfamiliar blonde said seductively as she headed out the front door.

'Snake' was Kai's nickname. It's pretty damn obvious why he was given that name. His reputation in bed has made him real popular with the guys and girls on campus. Matter of fact, even in high school he was popular. Probably why he's such a sex addict now.

Kai's not the only one with a nickname. All of my friends have one, me included. James got his nickname from the movie Ratatouille. He's the chef of our friend group. We've been calling him 'Remy' for as long as I can remember.

Then there's Theodore who got his name from Alvin & the Chipmunks. We're big movie fans and thought it would be fitting to give Theodore the nickname 'Chip'. He's really shy and doesn't talk a whole lot. Girls love him. Too bad he's not that great at talking to them. He becomes as red as cherry whenever a pretty girl shows him any kind of attention.

And as for me, I got the nickname 'Major'. I'm still not sure why they gave me that nickname. None of them will tell me. And every time I ask them about it, they just look at each other and laugh. Those fucking fuckers.

Kai sighed in content and leaned on the island. "That was some of the best damn sex I've had in a while."

"We know," we all grumbled in unison, prompting a glare out of Kai.

"You all are a bunch of fucking haters." He straightened, walked around the island and grabbed a piece of bacon from the batch James just finished making.

"I'm not a hater, dipshit," James defended. "I'm perfectly content fucking one pussy for the rest of my life."

"Of course you would say that," Kai replied. "You're girlfriend's hot as-"

"Don't make me stab your ass," James threatened, pointing the spatula at him.

Kai didn't finish his sentence, knowing better than to provoke James. He's gotten his ass kicked by him enough times to know when to stand down.

After breakfast, we all went our separate ways. While the lacrosse season was over, I still needed to stay in shape. Which meant spending my time in the gym.

I was running on the treadmill, burning off some calories from this morning's breakfast when my phone started ringing. I stopped my workout, my music having ended when my phone started blaring.

Retrieving my phone from my pocket, I answered it when I saw it was a video call from my parents.

"Landon! Darling," my mom greeted with a perfect smile, her skin even more tan now from having spent the last two weeks in Costa Rica.

She was wearing white sunshades and a wide, floppy purple sun hat to match her swimsuit. My dad was also in the video. Except he was doing what he always does. Frown and drink.

"Hey, mom."

They don't call me often. They're too busy traveling around the world to care about what I'm doing. Unless it's about me working my ass off to make it into the pros, of course.

"I'm just calling to let you know that we'll be coming home early. Your dad had something come up at his job, so unfortunately, our trip has been cut short."

I don't really see how unfortunate it is to come home to their kid and actually spend some time with them. Just because I'm in college and have my own place doesn't mean I don't miss my parents. Maybe not so much my dad, but my mom for sure. She's a bit high maintenance, but I still love her.

"How unfortunate," I drew out in a monotonous manner.

"I know, right?" My mom exclaimed, failing to notice my sarcasm. She often misses out on a lot of things. I honestly can't even remember the last time she actually went to one of my games.

My dad, on the other hand, hasn't missed a single one. But not in a 'Father of the Year' kind of way. More like to critique me on every little damn thing I do. Win or lose, he always has some shit to say. Funny thing is, he's never played a fucking sport in his life. He's a watcher, not a player. Being a stock broker is his life.

While my mom began to ramble on and on about how she wouldn't be able to swim with the dolphins or bask in the sun on the beach, my dad finally put his drink down to acknowledge me.

"Son."

"Dad," I answered back, matching his emotionless tone of voice.

His lips pull into a frown, lines creasing his aging face and making his receding hairline that much more visible. Smiling's not his thing. "How's lacrosse?"

"Season's over." You would have known that had you actually been here. "It's summer break."

"There's no such thing as a break if you want to make it to the pros."

Here we go...

"I have to go." I don't want to hear another lecture from him about how I'm not training as hard as I should be. Besides, he's hardly here. And even when he is here, he's gone. So, how would he even know?

"Oh, wait," my mom called. "I'm sending you over some money. It should hold you over until we get back."

"Don't send that boy any more money," my dad cut in. "He's on a break. Which means he doesn't get shit from me unless he works for it."

"I don't need your damn money anyway," I bit out angrily.

That was a lie. He's paying for my schooling. I have no job and honestly wouldn't have shit if it wasn't for him. And it's the only reason I'm still putting up with the bullshit. As soon as I graduate, I'll never rely on him for another fucking dime.

"Enough," my mom demands, moving away from my dad. She flashes me with a small, apologetic smile. "I'll transfer the money over as soon as I can, okay?"

I nod. "Thanks, mom."

"Of course, darling. Now, don't worry about your father. I'll handle him. You go have fun with your friends. I hear the Isaacs are having their annual bonfire beach party tonight."

I was about to tell her I wasn't going to that when my dad called for her. She tore her attention away from me, rushing out a "Love you. Bye," before hanging up.

Sighing, I put my playlist back on, turned the music up as loud as it would go, and resumed my workout. It was easier that way. Pretending everything was normal, and the wealthy, picture-perfect family the world always sees wasn't just like every other dysfunctional family. According to my parents, anything less than perfect was unacceptable.