Chapter VI: Worries

Nico still wouldn't believe it. He couldn't believe it. No matter what evidence was given, he would never admit that Will was the Golden Prince. The only time he would admit it was if the masquerade mask ever came off.

If, not when.

He highly doubted the mask would ever come off when the Golden Prince was around Nico, Hazel, Austin, Kayla, or anyone who wasn't a resident of the Golden Kingdom.

As much as Nico wanted to not believe Will was the Golden Prince, in his mind the evidence was clear. He decided to ignore it.

Ignoring it worked. Besides the fact that Hazel always was trying to convince him. No matter what Hazel said, or what Kayla and Austin put in their letters, Nico ignored the evidence.

When the next letter from the Sun Kingdom came, Hazel shoved it into Nico's hands and told him to read it. He read it. but still wasn't convinced.

"Come onnnnnn! How can you not believe it after the past 3 letters?! It's obvious!" Hazel exclaimed. "I don't care!" Nico snapped. "It's not him!" "How can you think that? That means he's alive!" She said. "Okay, so? It also means he willingly left me, left everyone!" He said in a harsh tone. "That one letter said he was torn," Hazel said. "Yeah, but he chose the golden kingdom, not his family and friends!" Nico exclaimed, voice rising. "He made everyone think he was DEAD." "It wasn't your choice! It was his!" She said. "THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! IT WAS HIS CHOICE, AND HE LEFT US!" he said, now shouting. "Well maybe he wouldn't have left if you took notice that he was hurting!" Hazel said, trying to stay calm. "It's NOT MY FAULT! He was happy around me, AND HE NEVER TOLD ME WHAT WAS GOING ON AT HIS HOME! How did you expect me to take notice?" Nico said, still shouting.

It was silent for a moment, then Hazel took a breath. "Look, none of us want to believe he left on purpose. But the evidence is clear. You have to understand, Nico." She said the last part quietly. "No," Nico said, his voice much quieter than before. "The only way you're going to convince me is if the Golden Prince takes his mask off or says he is Will." At those last words, Nico turned around and walked away.

————————————

The next few days nothing happened. The days went on as they normally did. No arguments, no attacks, no letters, and no drama.

Nico was mostly found in his room, doing something to keep himself and his mind busy. He was occasionally found in the training room.

4 days after the argument, Hades received a letter. It was from the Sky Kingdom. It said Prince Jason was dead.

5 days after the argument, Persephone snapped. Why, you ask? It's because Nico and Hazel "weren't treating her with the respect she needed." She hurt them mentally, and almost physically.

She hurt Nico the most. She spoke of Bianca and his mother. And it wasn't good things.

He was done with Persephone, but he couldn't get rid of her. It wasn't possible unless she died, which was unlikely.

After she was done yelling, Nico was on the verge of tears. He ran to his room and started crying as soon as the door closed.

His life wasn't as happy as he'd imagined when he was younger. He imagined a life with Bianca, Maria, Hazel, and his friends from other kingdoms. He imagined everyone that was dead would still be alive and well. He imagined he would be happy.

But none of that happened.

Bianca, Maria, Will, asernd Jason were dead. He was not happy. His life kept going downhill.

Be strong, he told himself. Keep going. After all, he still had Hazel.

Life will get better soon. He thought.

But how could it get better? It is getting worse every minute.

Stop. Don't think like that.

It'll get better...

...right?