Chapter X: Home

Kayla expected it, but she also didn't. She knew the Golden Prince was Will, but she didn't expect him to just straight-up say it.

Austin jumped up from his chair and ran over to Will. He hugged him. Will looked surprised at the sudden hug. Kayla then gets up and joins the hug. When the two pull away, Will's expression still hasn't changed. "I knew it. I knew you were alive!" Kayla exclaimed. He managed a small smile.

Kayla looked at Nico expectantly. He looked down. "He already knows," Will said. "What do you mean?" Austin asked. Kayla looks at Will. "There was a battle, and my mask sorta... came off," Will said. Kayla then looked back at Nico. "And you didn't tell us?" She asked "I didn't think it worth mentioning..." he said quietly.

"Okay, can you finish this later or tomorrow? The dinner is coming to an end and I'm tired," Zeus said. "Of course you are," Poseidon said. "Yeah, the dinner is over. Everyone please go to their temporary chambers," Apollo says. Everyone got up and left. Kayla, Austin, Apollo, Naomi, Will, and the Golden King and Queen were still there. Nico was slowly walking away, but he eventually left.

Naomi was looking at Will. "You've grown so much," she said. "Er- yeah," he answered. "We thought you were dead," Apollo said. Will looked down. "Sorry," he muttered. The King awkwardly cleared his throat. "So... where do we sleep?" He asked Apollo. "We have an extra room," Apollo said. "I'll take you there." "Um, if I may, I would like to sleep in my old room," Will said. "Oh yeah, you can! I trust you still know your way there?" Apollo asked. "Yes. Thank you," Will said. "May I go now?" "Yes," Naomi said. He putted his mask back on. He exited, heading to his old room.

Kayla watched him walk away. "You two can go," Apollo told Kayla and Austin. They exited, and followed Will. He suddenly stopped. "I know you're following me," he said. Kayla and Austin stoped. Will turned around. "Please don't follow me... I want some time to myself," he said. "I-" "Okay," Austin said, covering Kayla's mouth. The two walked away, Austin still covering her mouth.

When they get out of earshot, he moves his hand from her mouth. "Don't blow this! Will's alive, don't make him hate us!" He said. "Alright, sorry," she said. "Good night." The siblings go their separate ways to their own chambers.

Kayla woke up on the middle of the night. She heard footsteps in the hall. She opened her door to see Will walking in the direction of the gardens. She trailed behind him.

Will entree the gardens and stared up at the full moon. He took a deep breath. "It's nice out, isn't it?" Kayla said. She walks over to Will. "Kayla. Hello," he said. He didn't make eye contact when she looked at him. "You alright?" She asked. "Yeah, fine..." he said, trailing off. Kayla looked at him questioningly but said nothing.

The two stood in silence until Will said, "It's stressful. Being back here." "Why?" Kayla asked. "I- I don't know. Seeing everyone again, with them now knowing who I am. And the streets, the halls. It's all too familiar," he said.

"Are you gonna come back? Permanently?" She asked. He looked at Kayla. "I- I can't. My responsibilities and duties lie far away from here, at the Golden Kingdom," he said. She looked disappointed. "Oh, okay," she said.

They were silent again. They stood, side by side, Will staring at the moon and Kayla absentmindedly staring straight ahead.

He suddenly said, "Well, I should probably get some sleep. Big day ahead." "Oh- uh yeah. Good night," Kayla said. He walked toward the door, but not before quietly saying, "Good night, Kayla."

————————————

Kayla woke up the next morning to a knock on her door. "Princess Kayla! The meeting! You'll be late!" A voice said. "Oh shoot- I'll be there in a few minutes!" Kayla said. She quickly got changed and left her chambers. She rushed towards the dining room and managed to make it in time.

Inside, everyone was crowded around Will, who had his mask on again. They were asking him questions.

"Where did you go?"

"The Golden Kingdom."

"Why did you go?"

"Long story."

"Can you tell us it?"

"No."

"Why?"

"Because no."

"How are you suddenly so good at fighting?"

"Because the royal army of the Golden Kingdom trained me."

"Why are you wearing your mask again?"

"I got too used to it that it feels weird without it."

Nico was standing back. Kayla walked over to him. "You okay?" She asked. "Yeah, I'm fine," he answered. He stared at Will. She looked at Nico, not believing him. "You sure?" She asked. "Yeah," he said. He was looking at Will with an unreadable expression. Kayla looked at him with a curious expression, but she said nothing.

The whole of breakfast was spent with people asking Will questions and Nico staring at Will. And with the look in Nico's eyes... she'd think Nico was in love with Will.