God, Save The Children - 023

Shane had come back, without Otis. Although, he'd gotten Hershel the stuff that he needed. Carl was still passed out in the spare bedroom, recovering from the major surgery. He was sedated. Lori and Rick couldn't bring themselves to leave his bedside. They knew that they both had to be there for him when he woke up. He'd be scared, in pain, unable to do much. He'd need his parents.

Sophia's wound had gotten infected, somehow. They were trudging through the forest the whole time. And, she was passed around Daryl, Cam and Merle to carry. Lord knows that Daryl and Merle don't keep the cleanest of hands. Hershel had to give her some medication, but to help with the fever, and the coughing, and sickness, he'd sedated her too. Beth had given up her bed for Sophia.

Brooks was sitting with Sophia and Carol the whole night. She didn't leave. Ever since what happened with Merle, she didn't want to see him. Sure, he'd thrown that book at her in the camp, but she'd figured out that was his weak attempt of getting her out of a beating. Of course, he didn't go about it the right way, but that was a first step towards understanding that children shouldn't be beaten. Then, he went back to square one. It scared Brooks, a lot.

Chris was still missing.

/----------\

Carol had gone to Otis' funeral. Brooks stayed with Sophia, who was sleeping soundly through the worst of her infection. T-dog could handle his blood infection, but Sophia's was slightly worse. However, she'd pull through just fine.

Brooks had been sitting there alone for a while when there was a knock at the door. "Come in." Brooks called, softly.

Daryl opened it, shutting it behind him. He walked over and stood opposite Brooks, on the other side of Sophia. "Why's Merle sulkin' like a damn child?" Brooks shrugged, so Daryl rolled his eyes. "Come on, this can't seriously be 'bout what you said to 'im at the church. I spoke to 'im on the road. He said he's over that."

"Then he's over it, Daryl. I don't know what you want from me." Brooks whispered.

Daryl scoffed. "Jesus, Brooks. Just grow up, okay? I get it, shit's happened, but that doesn't mean you get to mope around, huh? You got your friend back, she's gonna be fine. Now stop bein' pissed at me and Merle cause truth is, we're the only ones you got left."

Brooks flickered her eyes up to him. "No, you ain't. And, Merle's sulkin' because he hit me."

Daryl furrowed his eyebrows, he felt a gut punch to the chest. He didn't want to believe that Merle would do that, because Merle was his big brother. He'd grown up with Merle taking a lot of the punches to protect Daryl, he'd grown up with Merle covering for Daryl, lying for him, anything to protect him. And, now? He was beating his own sister? Daryl didn't want to believe that Merle had started down that path that would make him turn out like their father. "Nah, he didn't. You're lyin'!" 

"Why would I lie 'bout that?"

"Because you ain't been gettin' enough attention lately." Daryl shrugged.

Brooks scoffed. "When have I ever gotten the right kind of attention?"

"You're such a brat." Daryl complained, before all but storming out of the room, slamming the door behind him. Brooks flinched, but didn't say a word as she just sat there.

/----------\

Merle was standing on the edge of the farm, by the gate. He'd found some cardboard, pens and rope. He was setting up a sign:

Chris, this is where
we're staying -your ma

He turned to Daryl when he heard the footsteps. "What'd ya want, little brother?"