Forgotten - 82

For the trigger warnings summary, go to the bottom of the chapter!!

After Brooks shot that guy in the head, Daryl sent her home. She'd been walking by herself when Merle jogged to catch up with her, leaving the traumatic scene for someone else to deal with. "Hey, Bambi, you know, you didn't have to do that back there."

"I know." She nodded, not looking at him.

He hummed. "Then why did you?"

"I don't know what was happenin', but I know someone would've disagreed with Rick killin' whoever that was. Best they hate me instead of 'im, if he's gonna be leader." Brooks responded, casually. "Especially if Deanna changes her mind, cause I'm assumin' that man killed 'er husband, righ'? Well, in the moment anger could wear off, best she tries kickin' me out instead of 'im."

Merle let out a breath. "Yea, that's smart. I'm proud of ya, kid."

She tried not to smile as she bowed her head, walking the darkened streets with her father. It was a pretty clear night, the moon and stars shining brightly overhead as they passed the lake which glistened in the moonlight. "Well, someone had to do it." She mumbled. "Anyways, sorry I left without tellin' anyone. I wanted to go, but I didn't want anyone to stop me."

Merle's eyebrows furrowed. "You left?"

"Yea, two days ago with Daryl and Aaron." She said, before stopping in her tracks which made Merle stop. Both turned to look at each other, Merle's face turned into realisation and hers to anger. "I've been gone two days and nobody noticed?" 

Merle began chewing on his bottom lip, trying to come out with something that would make her feel better. "Well, Sophia and Carl were busy with Enid because she went outside the walls, and Michonne's been all over Sasha's case, I've been busy with Rick and Carol plannin' security, 'n' shit... I- I'm sorry, Bambi, we all thought you were with Cam or somethin'."

She took a step back from him, feeling her heart in her stomach as the back of her eyes burned with tears she promised herself would never spill again. She hadn't cried in months, she wasn't going to break her streak, not now, not over people who didn't even bother to look for her in two days. "Where's Cam, then?" Was all she came out with, but Merle could still hear the uncomfortable shake in her voice.

"Honey-"

"Where's Cam?" Her voice raised, interrupting him, clearly not interested in anything else that he had to say. 

"I think he's in 'is room."

"Y'all forgot about 'im too then?" Brooks scoffed, beginning to walk faster away from him. She heard him begin to follow her, so she yelled over her shoulder. "Leave me alone, dad!" She hadn't meant to say it, she didn't even realise she did. It was a wonder though, how betrayal was the emotion that made her brain finally link Merle to being her father.

Merle stood in shock, staring after her. Yes, she was angry, she had every right to be... But, she called him 'dad', for the first time. She acknowledged that he was his father. He'd never forgive himself for not checking in on her those two days, or going to find her, and he did hate himself... However, he couldn't stop his lips from curling upwards. He was her father, and she finally said it.

/----------\

Brooks ran all the way back to her house, she saw Sophia and Carl playing Twister with Judith in the living room. The toddler wasn't even as tall as the mat was wide, so it was funny watching her try and reach what she just couldn't get. Judith took it on the chin though, smiling and giggling every time she fell. "Good job, Jude!" Sophia laughed as the toddler picked herself back up and tried again.