Mommy Dearest - 045

Brooks' eyes slowly turned to Marliya. Everyone stood there in the tense silence. Her brows furrowed as she stared at the woman who was staring at one of the tables. This was the last thing Marliya wanted, Daryl and Merle were going to respect that.

"You... You're my... But, they told me you died?"

Will groaned. "Keep up, baby. She faked it."

Brooks took a few steps to the side to stand alone. "How long have you known, dad?"

"Since we came to Woodbury a week ago." Michonne answered. "He told us you had perished with Merle and Daryl."

"Brooks is very sensitive! I didn't want to confuse her!" Will raised his voice.

"You didn't want us to stop you from beating her!" Michonne stepped in.

Silence filled the room as Brooks tried to break it. "Why didn't you take me with you?" She asked, staring at the woman who was supposedly her mother.

Marliya lifted her eyes as she stared at Brooks. "Because I knew that would break your father."

Will scoffed. "Bitch, I didn't even cry when you died, I'd be fine."

Marliya bit her bottom lip as her and Merle stared at each other. Brooks looked between the two with a furrowed brow, but assumed that they must've been close before Brooks came along.

"But did you want me?" Brooks asked, hope filling her chest at the prospect of things being different now. She could forgive Marliya, and then things would be different. She would have a mother. For a moment, she saw a way to escape the beatings that Will inflicted.

Marliya looked to the child and shook her head. "No."

Brooks' heart shattered. All her hopes for things to be changed went away. She was stuck with Will, that's what she believed.

"Bambi, why don't you go up to your room?" Merle tried.

Brooks shook her head. "I wanna know why! I'm delightful!" Her voice came out loud, angry and broken. "Why don't you want me?"

"Because I didn't want another Dixon in my life!" Marliya shouted. Merle stared at the woman with heart break, he felt his soul shatter at her words. He was nothing but good to her, and yet it was clear she never felt the same way. Marliya was in danger with Will, he hurt her. However, if he found out she was sleeping with his son while she was messing around with him? Merle and Marliya would've been killed.

Michonne put her Katana away, as she went forward and took Brooks' arm. "Come on." She whispered, pulling her out of the room. Gently, of course. Brooks passed through rest of the group watching in shock. Brooks couldn't make eye contact with any of them. She was stuck in her own mind, she didn't even realize Michonne was laying her down on the bed in her cell. Michonne stood by the door, watching Brooks with careful eyes.

Brooks would know (most of) the full story by the end of the day, however, right now she needed an hour or so to process the news her mother was alive.

After ten minutes, Michonne was still there, Brooks snapped out of her shock. Tears stung her eyes and poured from them, and onto her pillow. Loud cries left her mouth as she curled into herself. Michonne began walking over to comfort her. "No!" Brooks screamed, turning her back to Michonne as she sobbed into her pillow.

Michonne was stunned, but said nothing. She didn't leave either.

/----------\

In the table room, they watched as Michonne led a stunned Brooks out. Nobody was ignorant to how pale she looked, the way she was grasping onto the clothing over her stomach. She looked devastated, but Brooks couldn't feel any of that. She was still in a state of shock.