Teenage Dirtbags - 086

It was about a week into the process of clearing the streets and the lake of walker bodies. Their corpses were littered everywhere, it was a disaster! Although, Rick predicted they only had about a week left before all of the bodies would have been burnt in piles outside the walls of Alexandria. The only casualties were the Anderson family and a couple of other people, but for the most part they got out unscathed. 

Carl was in his room most the time since his accident, he'd stare at his eye and cry from the other, devastated about what had happened. However, whenever Brooks would come and check on him (multiple times a day) he'd smile and forget about his worries. Every time she saw him, she made him feel that little bit better about himself, and slowly his pain was fading away.

Although, while Carl was in his room, Mickey was trying to make his move on Brooks. She felt very uncomfortable every time he did so, he flirted with her all the time, despite her saying no on numerous occasions. She shot him down every time, but he took that as 'try harder next time', and never really let up. He'd shamelessly flirt with her if she was with Sophia, or Enid, but if she had any men around her then he never would. So, for the most part she tried to stick with her dad, or Daryl, even Cam, too... Although, him and Rosita snuck off a lot, so he wasn't always a viable option.

Despite all that though, Brooks and Carl had decided to go on a run together. Just the two of them. Alone. For hours. All day. "Ya know, maybe I should just come with you." Merle said, as he escorted them both to the gate.

"Dad, we'll be fine. We can both handle ourselves out there." Brooks responded, laughing slightly. Brooks knew Carl needed to get out of Alexandria, from the double takes, and the strange looks. She knew he needed some freedom, but she also knew that they needed all possible hands on getting the walker bodies out of their community, so it'd just be the two of them.

Merle grumbled under his breath, stepping over the corpse of a walker. "I know." He mumbled, before continuing. "But maybe Soph can go with you? Or- or Cam? Rosita? Rick? Daryl?... Me?"

"Merle, you don't need to worry. I won't let anything happen to Brooks." Carl offered him a comforting smile. When Merle's eyes met Carl's, the Dixon narrowed his in a threat. Carl swallowed thickly and nodded, the small interaction going unnoticed by Brooks Dixon. They stopped by the gates, where Cole was guarding them.

Brooks looked up to her father, and went on her tip toes to kiss his cheek and hug him tightly. "We'll be back before sundown."

Merle smiled, and kissed the top of her head. "That's my girl." When Brooks pulled away from him, Merle allowed his hand to go forward for Carl to shake. "You're a good kid."

Carl couldn't help but blush and smile in appreciation. "Thank you, sir."

/----------\

Carl was driving them to the large house Cole had recommended. When he was on his own, he came across it and looted it, but only took what he could take in his one bag. He couldn't stay more than one night, because before Alexandria he was too scared to stay in one place for too long. Apparently, there were plenty more supplies there for Brooks and Carl to take.

Brooks had her window down, the map on her lap, her right arm hanging out into the open breeze. Back in Black was playing quietly over the radio, making Carl tap his fingers against the steering wheel to the beat. "How's your lack of eye today?"

Carl grinned and sighed. "I'm okay. Just glad I can still drive."

Brooks hummed and nodded. "Daryl taught me to drive if you need a break."

"God, you on the road is a scary thought."

"Hey!" She laughed, shaking her head.

Carl smiled too, happy that he could make her laugh. "How long's left?"