25 Feet - 056

Brooks, Marliya, Merle, Daryl and Michonne were out on a run. Bit of a weird way to spend a family day together - it was awkward and off putting, very uncomfortable, but Brooks took any chance to get out of the prison. There were too many people there now, she hated it. She was snapping at Lizzie and Mika, because suddenly they wanted to hang out with Brooks every day and it was getting on her nerves. She felt bad, because all she ever wanted was friends, but now that she had them (them being multiple, of course she had Sophia and Cam before) she didn't know how to act.

"It's up ahead." Michonne announced as they stalked away from their vehicles and towards the abandoned mall, about fifty miles away from the prison. It was a bit of a drive, but not too long. Brooks had been on the front of Daryl's motorbike anyways, so conversation wasn't an option... Luckily.

Marliya glanced to Brooks, noticing the way she silently walked besides Daryl, sticking to his hip like there was an invisible string pulling them together. She knew it was because Daryl had become her safe place. Brooks and Michonne weren't all that close yet, Brooks still hated Merle, and of course Marliya and Brooks purely had awkward and uncomfortable conversations. 

Around the corner, they finally came face to face with the long large car park, the mall on the other side of it. Brooks had never seen a mall before, the closest she had come was the outside shopping outlet after the CDC exploded with Dr Edwin Jenner and Jacqui Morgan inside. Brooks missed Jacqui in a way, but she knew it was the woman's choice.

Merle chuckled as they walked towards it, smiling at the shutters being down - a good sign no other raiders had gotten to it. "Well, smack my ass and rub my head that's a good sign!"

Brooks' eyes rolled, simply at the sound of his voice. "Would you stop with your dumb ass expressions?" She complained.

"Come on, Bambi, you used to love those." Merle tried, looking down to the girl who wouldn't even make eye contact with him these days.

She scoffed, shaking her head. "No, I never. Will you stop callin' me Bambi, too? I'm not a goddamn baby." Marliya looked between Merle and Brooks with sympathy, her heart hurt for the man she used to love. 

As they approached the mall, Daryl broke the uncomfortable silence - which was strange because uncomfortable silences are usually where he excels. "We'll scope out 'round it first. Make sure there's no big ass hole or whatever filled with walkers. Me 'n' Michonne'll take the left, you three take the right and we'll meet 'round back."

"Hell no, I'm comin' with you." Brooks denied, quickly drawing to the left of the group. Daryl and Merle exchanged glances, but Merle shook his head, not wanting to push Brooks on that matter because that would simply make it worse.

/----------\

Walking around the right of the prison, side by side, guns in hand, Marliya and Merle began speaking. "I'm sorry, that she treats you like that." Marliya said, as soon as her twin, Daryl and daughter were out of ear shot.

Merle let out a heavy sigh. "I deserve it. I left 'er with my father for so long. And- and the things he did to 'er?" Merle had to blink away tears. "Goddamn inhumane."

"Trust me, I know the pain Will can inflict." Marliya agreed, sighing through her nose. "It's why I was drawn to you."

"You never really loved me, did you?" Merle realised.

Marliya shrugged. "I thought it was love at the time. I really thought that you were the one, Merle."

The man in question licked his lips. "You loved me cause I was good to you compared to my dad. That's all it was. I can respect that now, just took me a while to see clearly... Ya know, I forgive you, cause I understand. For a while there I resented you for fakin' your death, leavin' me 'n' Brooks... But, I get it now. You were scared. You thought I would take care of our little girl... Hell, I should've."