Liar - 044

Brooks was sat in a cell that was now her own. She didn't like it though. Brooks kept pacing the tiny room, trying to enjoy it. She didn't want to be ungrateful, but she hated being cooped up in there. It reminded her of the basement back at home. Home, where she grew up before the fall. Will had an old wardrobe in there. The inside was full of nail scratches and old, dried blood. The scratches from Brooks, Daryl, Merle... And even from Will's childhood.

Will raised his kids how he knew how. It was the way he was raised. It was the way his father was raised, and his before him. For the past eight generations, Dixons have been abusing their children. Daryl was the first to break that when he was the one raising Brooks for the first couple years of her life. However, Brooks wasn't his child.

The young girl was picking at the paint on the wall. It was grey brick, covered in grey paint. It was all very bland, dark and depressing. Not that she ever had a room much better than the prison cell, but she still hated it. A small knock echoed throughout the room, Brooks turned and saw Carl standing there.

"Hey." He let out.

Brooks forced a smile. "Whatcha want?"

He shrugged. "Just checkin' you were still here, I guess."

"Where'd I go, Carl? We're literally in prison." She joked.

"You were dead, River." Carl stated.

Brooks furrowed her eyebrows. "No I weren't. I think I'd know if I died. Maybe. Do walkers know they're dead?"

The boy in the sheriff's hat bowed his head, before he moved to sit on the edge of her bed. He interlocked his fingers, playing with them a little, before lifting his head to look at Brooks. "We... We saw that house blow up. We found your glasses. You were dead to us. For the past five months we had to grieve you."

"I'm sorry." Brooks whispered. "But, I still think I did the right thing. At the time, I did what I thought was best. Perhaps it was for the best anyways. I got my dad back."

Carl furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

"Well, he found me." Brooks pointed out, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Brooks... Who are you talking about?"

The young girl let out a small laugh. "My dad. You losin' your mind, Grimes?"

"You're talking about... Will?" Carl pushed.

"He is my dad." Brooks moved to sit next to Carl on the bed. She took the back of her hand and put it on his forehead, but he swatted her arm away.

"Have they told you the truth yet?"

"Truth? What're you talkin' 'bout?"

Carl bit his bottom lip, staring deeply into her eyes. "And about Marliya?"

"What's she got to do with anythin'?" Brooks pushed. Carl looked down, before attempting to leave. Brooks stood up too, and grabbed his wrist. "What aren't you tellin' me, Grimes?"

Before Carl could answer, Daryl walked in. "Brooks, leave the boy be. Go on now, Carl."

Brooks dropped Carl's wrist, and he spared her a pitiful glance before he left the room. "What's goin' on, Daryl?"

"Ain't nothin' you need to worry about." Daryl answered.

She frowned. "You guys aren't tellin' me somethin'. I wanna know how you guys know Marliya."

Daryl bit down into his bottom lip. He thought about just spitting out the words. He thought about just telling her straight to her face. He thought about clearing up all of the confusion for the young girl. But, he didn't. "We don't. Didn't. Not before we met, couple days back. Why don't you rest up, huh? Been a long day."