Recovery - 055

For the trigger warnings summary, go to the bottom of the chapter!!

Daryl, Michonne, Tyreese and Bob brought back the medication, and was able to save most the people who were sick. Brooks, Sebastian and Lizzie amongst them. Devastation had reaped the prison, like the Grimm Reaper itself paid a visit and chose its victims, but many were very lucky. There was a point where Hershel had told himself that Brooks was a gonner, that there was no way she would pull through, but he prayed, and God provided.

Despite Carol not being sick... Sophia still lost her mother. That's why Sophia, Lizzie, Mika, Brooks and Beth sat in the field, in a circle. Everybody supporting Sophia, who was resting her head on Beth's shoulder. Brooks was to the other side of her, squeezing her hand tightly. "I just can't believe she would leave me." She cried, tears rolling down her face and hitting Beth's pink shirt.

"I'm so sorry." Brooks said, although her voice was still a little scratchy. Her main symptoms were gone, and that was what mattered.

Sophia shook her head. "No, you're not. You don't even like my mother."

"I do." Brooks insisted. "We had our troubles, but that's in the past. Nevertheless, I love you, Soph. I don't like seein' you like this. I'm so sorry that you're in this pain." She recited from the 'grief book' she read as soon as she found out from Rick that Carol was gone. Brooks stayed up all night, still sick as a dog, making sure she'd be able to comfort Sophia when the time came.

Lizzie looked to the flowers in the middle of the group. "Me and Mika just lost our dad, and Beth's lost her mother, so we all understand your pain. Well, not Brooks, obviously." 

"Just because my parents are alive, doesn't mean I can't sympathise. I read a book 'bout it, and I'm good at it now." Brooks tried to defend. 

Sophia shook her head. "You can't find everything in a book, Brooks."

Mika nodded in agreement. "Lizzie, dad taught us to be kind."

Lizzie scoffed. "Dad's dead, and he isn't coming back!"

"We should still listen to him." Mika argued. "We're here for Sophia right now, Lizzie."

Beth sighed, saddened for the sisters. "You two don't need to push aside your grief, we're all here for each other."

Lizzie spitefully turned to Brooks. "I don't see how she could be. She hasn't lost anyone."

Pursing her lips together, Brooks went on a mission to prove she could be just as useful. "Sophia, it said that offerin' a hot beverage can make people feel better. Would you like a hot beverage?" 

Sophia wiped a couple tears, shaking her head. "No, thanks, Brooks. I don't really want to talk."

The rest of the group fell into silence, but Brooks didn't understand that. "No, you can't. The book said not to let people suffer in silence. So, don't suffer in silence?"

Sitting up, Sophia wiped her fresh fallen tears. "Brooks, I love you, I really do... But, comforting people isn't really where you excel. Wouldn't you rather go check on Seb? I'm okay here, I promise."

"I'm sure he'd love some tea, Brooks." Beth said, kindly, with no ill intent meant at all.

"Oh- uh... Yea, okay." Brooks nodded, standing up. "Well, feel better soon, Soph." And with that, Brooks dragged her feet away from the group where it was clear she wasn't needed. Sophia and Beth loved Brooks like a sister, but they understood she wasn't well equipped when it came to those situations. They also knew it was through no fault of her own, but sometimes it was just best to tell her when she couldn't pick up on social queues.