||Chapter 6||

The next day started early for me, and I found myself waking up at 8 a.m., knowing that my aunt-in-law and her family were due to arrive. It meant that I had to maintain peace and harmony for an entire month, or who knew what chaos would ensue. After a quick freshen-up, I headed downstairs and found my sister-in-law and my mother-in-law in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Aai," I greeted my mother-in-law with a smile and then turned to my sister-in-law, "Bhabi, did Bhai and Ayan wake up yet?"

Bhabi, who was busy preparing breakfast, replied, "Not yet, Manvi. They're still asleep."I nodded, thinking it was probably a wise decision to let them catch a few more winks of sleep.

After a while, my father and my elder brother, Aarav, along with Ayan, finally made their way to the dining table. It was time for breakfast, and they all settled in.

Baba, sipping his tea, started the conversation, "Good morning, everyone. Did you sleep well, Manvi?"I nodded, "Yes, Baba, I had a good night's sleep."Aarav, my elder brother-in-law, chimed in, "That's great to hear, Manu. It's going to be an interesting month with everyone visiting."Ayan, my younger brother-in-law, who had a habit of waking up late, muttered a greeting while still half-asleep.

As we began our breakfast, the atmosphere was relaxed and calm. Little did we know that with the arrival of our aunt-in-law and her family, our peaceful mornings would soon transform into a whirlwind of activity and excitement, with plenty of stories to tell at the end of the month.

Author POV:

In the afternoon, Bua Ji and her family arrived at our home. Bua Ji, Seema Shrivastav, a 60-year-old lady, made her entrance with her two daughters and one son in tow. Her first daughter, Shalini, was a stark contrast to her mother. Shalini was soft-spoken and kind-hearted, unlike the assertive and dominant Seema. Then there was Ritwik Shrivastav, the playboy and rich brat of the family, and Tina Shrivastav, another spoiled brat

.As they gathered in the living room, Manvi and Ritu approached Bua Ji and respectfully touched her feet, seeking her blessings.

"Namaste, Bua Ji," they greeted her. Bua Ji offered her blessings to Ritu, saying, 

"Sada suhagan raho," but she did not extend the same courtesy to Manvi. 

It left a bitter taste in Manvi's mouth, but she chose to remain silent, given the circumstances of her recent arrival. Manvi then turned her attention to Shalini, initiating a conversation.

"Aap kaisi ho, Didi?" Manvi asked. Shalini replied with a warm smile, "Main theek hoon, Manu.

Tum kaisi ho? Kaisi chal rahi hai zindagi tumhari?"Manvi grinned mischievously and teased,

"Mast! Aur aap toh dekho, apki ki  toh shaadi ho rahi hai!"Meanwhile, Tina, Bua Ji's other daughter, joined the conversation between Manvi and Shalini, curious about the new face in their midst. The atmosphere was a mix of formality and curiosity as the family dynamics played out before them.

After lunch, we all gathered in the living room to discuss the upcoming roka ceremony for Shalini. Seema, Bua Ji, initiated the conversation, stating, "Tomorrow, Shalini's prospective in-laws are coming. They will perform the roka ceremony, and then we'll discuss the dates for the engagement and wedding."

Ravi, asked curiously, "Didi, you haven't told us anything about Shalini's future in-laws. Can you please share some details now?"

Bua Ji replied with a hint of mystery, "We'll find out when they arrive. But I can tell you this much, they are from a highly esteemed family, with a significant business empire."

The room buzzed with anticipation as we tried to imagine who Shalini's prospective in-laws might be. It was clear that they were from a wealthy and influential background, adding an air of excitement to the impending roka ceremony and the subsequent wedding preparations.

Bua Ji's words cut through the air with a sharpness that left a palpable tension in the room.

 She turned her gaze toward Ritu, seemingly with malicious intent, and said, "Ritu, my dear, it's been three years since your wedding, and yet, you haven't given us the joy of becoming a bua dadi."

Aarav, visibly irritated by Bua Ji's repeated and pointed questions, replied sternly, "Dadi, there's no plan at the moment. We'll think about it when the time is right."

Bua Ji wasn't ready to let it go and continued, "Aarav, you always say the same thing. It's been three years since your marriage, and still no children. What will our relatives think? Are they going to assume that something is lacking in our bahu, which is why you haven't had children yet?"

Manvi, was not one to stay silent when her family was being unjustly criticized, interjected, 

"Bua Ji, please don't worry about this. It's a personal matter, and there's no need to discuss it in front of everyone."

But Bua Ji wouldn't be deterred. She persisted, "This girl... you stay quiet. Despite being a widow, you're still here, in this house. Have you no shame? You're fluttering around like a carefree bird while my Arjun was taken from me five years ago, and yet, you're still here."

Ravi, who had been observing the situation with growing anger, finally spoke up. His voice was firm, and he addressed Bua Ji directly, 

" DiDi, what you're saying is completely uncalled for. You've come here for an auspicious occasion, and it's best if you focus on that. Matters related to our children are not your concern, and you have no right to comment on them. Please stick to the purpose of your visit, and refrain from making unwarranted statements about our family."

The room fell into an uneasy silence as Ravi's words hung in the air. Bua Ji had been reprimanded, and it was clear that her unsolicited remarks had crossed a line. The atmosphere was tense, but it was a necessary stand to protect the dignity and privacy of their family.

Manvi couldn't resist teasing Bua Ji a bit more, "Bua Ji, is your favourite vegetable bitter gourd?"

Bua Ji chuckled, "No, dear. My favourite vegetable is potatoes."

Manvi couldn't resist one more quip, "Then why do you speak as bitterly as bitter gourd?"

Bua Ji grumbled, "This girl talks too much."

Manvi retorted, "Well if I don't speak up, what's the use of your mouth then? But, you know, if I keep talking, your BP will shoot up."

Bua Ji sighed and said, frustratedly "There's no shame in her. She can't control her words."

Turning to Ravi, Bua Ji continued, "Ravi, I don't like this girl, but I have received a marriage proposal for her."

The room was filled with a mix of tension and amusement as Manvi's witty banter with Bua Ji added a touch of lightness to the otherwise heavy atmosphere. Bua Ji's confession about the marriage proposal shifted the conversation to a more formal and serious tone, reminding everyone of the real purpose of her visit.