NINE / if there's wine, everything's (not) fine.

EPISODE 05 : EAT AT BARATIE !( if there's wine, everything's (not) fine )

( if there's wine, everything's (not) fine )

AFTER ANJALI AND zoro's 'devastating', as usopp called it, argument, the table lapsed into broken conversations.

zoro didn't speak another word. well, it was more like every time he tried, he was immediately shut down by anjali, who ignored him.

if he wanted to talk to her so badly, it would have to wait after she'd had at least a dozen more glasses of wine and three shots of liquor. that, and a bit of privacy where neither luffy's loud obnoxious chewing or usopp's endless teasing couldn't reach them.

seriously, anjali was getting real tired of them, real fast.

the plates on their tables grew stacked and cluttered, mounds upon mounds of food that had grown tasteless to anjali's refined mouth.

she no longer felt the pull of hunger at her stomach, yet neither was she satiated with what she had eaten.

what she wanted wasn't food, nor booze. it was to understand roronoa zoro and his complex, peanut brain.

what he was thinking, why he was thinking it, and how she was going to reply to what he was willing to tell her.

luffy spoke up at last after devouring what was probably his tenth plate of food, wiping his mouth with a napkin and raising the glass in his hands.

"let's make a toast!"

this time, anjali only halfheartedly raised her glass, back still angled away from the green haired pirate hunter sitting next to her.

"to the best crew sailing on the sea and to our victory! yeah!" he cried and downed his glass of milk.

"no, i'm sorry." nami interrupted with furrowed brows. "what victory exactly?"

luffy looked at her. "against the marines. our very first victory and we crushed them."

"i don't know how many naval battles you guys have been a part of —"

usopp interrupted quietly. "two dozen, at least." everybody ignored him, knowing the man was lying through his teeth.

"— but that was a disaster. we were unprepared, uncoordinated. by all rights, we should be at the bottom of the sea." she finished.

"we're not though." usopp said brightly. "luffy saved us."

nami looked between the crew, sitting up further in her seat. "are we really going to ignore the elephant in the room?"

luffy smiled and tilted his head in confusion. "you didn't think to mention your grandfather was a marine? and not just any marine, a vice-admiral! i don't know about you, but i didn't sign up for that."

"you raided a marine base. of course that'll make you a target." zoro said.

"if i stole the map, no one would've known i was there." the tangerine haired woman shot back. "as opposed to wrecking the base commander's office."