Part 10

I groan as my alarm goes off. 6 AM. I lay there for a moment before all the memories of the last few days begin to flood my mind, and a smile creeps onto my face. Never in my life would I have thought that I'd meet someone like Lando Norris, let alone become close enough to him where I am going out with him and his mate. I take a few more moments to myself, basking in the excitement for tonight, before getting out of bed. 

Today was finally the day of the hospital's fundraiser, and I couldn't be more excited. Sam messaged me last night giving me some final details since I couldn't make the last meeting yesterday, informing me that the original surprise guests pulled out. But luckily, some more came in at the last moment, who were apparently even better. I dress in some light blue straight-leg jeans, paired with a white crop top and a light blue open button-up over the top. My hair just goes into a bun as I chuck some glasses on. 

"Hey Amelia, you're right on time." I walk into the prep room, attaching my volunteer tag to my shirt to see Sam waiting for me. She hands me a badge. "This will get you in and out of the rooms you need to be in today." I nod my head. 

"Awesome. Oh, can you tell me who the new guests are?" She gives me a weird look and is about to speak before a nurse comes rushing into the room, asking for Sam's help. She gives me a smile before quickly rushing off. That's ok, I have lots to do anyway. 

I make my way to the main foyer, where the event is being held. My eyes light up when I take in all the decorations that the other volunteers had already put up, seeing banners and streamers, as well as long tables filled with awesome snacks donated by the local bakery. I knew the owners so it didn't take much convincing. The next hour is spent finalizing everything before all the kids get bought down by a group of nurses. People continue to approach me, asking me questions and asking for help. Before I knew it, the kids began to arrive and gather in front of the makeshift stage that we set up in the middle of the foyer. I gravitate towards the back of the room as it becomes more filled, looking around in awe of all the kids who seem extremely excited. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a table being set up by 3 people whom I don't recognize from the volunteer program. 

"Who are they?" I ask a random volunteer standing next to me. She turns her head to see what I'm pointing at before humming. 

"Oh yeah. Apparently, the new celebrity guests insisted on bringing heaps of free merch for the kids, that's where they are handing it out." I nod my head. 

"Oh wow ok, that's awesome." The volunteer agrees with me before a tune begins to play, grabbing everyone's attention. Sam walks up on the stage, holding a microphone, and everyone begins to clap. 

"Hi everybody! And hello kids! It's awesome to see you guys up and about on this awesome day, and we are all so excited for you guys to have some fun! We have our secret celebrity guests just behind this curtain, waiting to come out any moment..." Everyone in the audience oos and I laugh at the kids who are giggling to themselves. "But, before that, I'd like to call our head volunteer to the stage, Amelia Callaghan to make a speech." I wasn't expecting that. People begin to clap as I make my way around the audience and to the front of the room, smiling and waving as I walk up. "Without Amelia's unstoppable efforts, none of this would've been possible, so can we have a round of applause for her!" I make it onto the stage and stand next to Sam as everyone in the hall claps. Sam hands me the mic with a smile and I give one back before facing the kids. 

"Hey guys! Um, I wasn't really expecting this so I'm not exactly sure what to say, " The audience lets out a low chuckle. "I guess the main message is to have fun! This day is all about you guys, and having a break from everything and relaxing! We've got games, snacks, apparently, there's some freebies coming around, and of course, our mystery celebrities who have generously offered their time up to be here." Everyone begins to clap again. "Now, I don't even know who they are so I can't give you any hints, but I do know that they should be here for a while, and are open and available to taking photos and videos with you guys! So if you see them don't be afraid to ask! But yeah I guess that's it! Have fun guys!" Everyone begins to clap again as I step back and hand Sam the mic. She smiles, gesturing for me to stand just off to the side, still on the stage as she steps forward to address the audience again.