Chapter 10- Distrust and Misinformation

Chapter 10 (Evelyn's POV)

Distrust and Misinformation

I half heartedly tried to smooth my messy hair. I quickly realized that nothing I did outside of a brush and rubber band was going to work and gave up. My anger had dimmed but my mind still swirled with thought. I didn't know what to think anymore. This thing with my sister was way more complex than I initially thought. Her call was calculated and well timed. Too well timed and too calculated.

"Babe, you shouldn't think about her right now. Just think about your family downstairs and spending time with them." Nick prompted and grabbed my hand.

"Nick, did my mom make it outside before I went berserk?"

He was quiet for a moment. "No. She saw and heard everything. She heard Eric calling us alphas and Victoria leaving that voicemail and she saw you shift and kill the phone."

"I'm sorry. I just-" he reached up and cupped my face in his hands.

"Hey don't apologize. You did absolutely nothing wrong."

I leaned in and kissed him. I thought I heard footsteps but I just ignored them. Everyone knows not open a closed door in another shifters house. Nick reached his hands out one pulled me up to straddle him. I pulled away and pulled the sheet more snugly around us and returned to the kiss. The door opened and I was forced to pull away.

"Go away." I muttered before returning to kissing my mate.

"Excuse me young lady? Do not talk to your mother that way. You get out of that bed, put some clothes on, and pack a bag. You are coming with me away from this. Of all the men you could have chosen you chose a shifter."

I was up and standing in front of her faster than you could blink leaving the sheet behind. Not because I was going to listen but because the animal inside of me would not bow down. Not to an order and and certainly not with being talked to like that. The animal didn't hear the panic in her voice. Luckily I happened to be wearing Nick's shirt or I would have been naked.

"I am a grown woman and I am very much capable of make my own choices."

"Obviously not if you decided to hop into bed with and marry a shifter."

"What do you know about shifters? Obviously nothing if this is your reaction."

"I know enough to know that they are bad news. They are the reason your father is dead. Why not a hunter? At least that would have been better, less dangerous."

"Excuse me?"

"At least if you had chosen a hunter you would be of the same species. You're the only child that your father passed the hunter gene onto and you threw it away."

My eyes watered and my legs wobbled. No. Not daddy.

"No. Daddy wasn't a hunter. He was a good man."

I shook my head vigorously. Anything but that.

"Yes his was a good man and a good hunter."

I could feel myself falling but I was helpless to stop it. A good man and a good hunter are opposites. I felt Nick's arms wrap around me and pull me into his chest. I could handle my sister being the enemy, the monster but not my father. The man I have idolized my entire life.

"Focus on me, baby. Take control and focus on what you know as fact." Nick whispered in my ear.

He kept taking to me but I couldn't make out the words. I could faintly make out that my mom was trying to talk to me.