Protection

The next few hours merged together and became nothing more than a blur. One thing did manage to lighten my spirits though... and it was nothing short of a miracle. 

I had gone outside for some more training, Dante thought he should train me himself this time... just to make sure I was ready more than anything, I was a little more than shocked to find that any compassion he felt towards me had simply vanished at that point, instead what was left was a pure bred fighter who thrashed every ounce of aggression he held in him towards me. I somehow avoided every attack.. just about, jumped to the side and lunged at him so that I was now mounted on his back, arms wrapped around his neck I soon began to laugh and kissed his cheek.

“Vicki” he sighed

“What?” I asked him as I stifled a giggle

“You're supposed to be training” he tried to sound stern but what came out was something more of a cough crossed with laughter. I jumped off his back and he immediately turned around to snag my waist and pull me closer to him.

“I'm strong enough Dante, think all this just proved that”

“You're certainly fast my love” he leaned down and caressed his lips with mine, I raised my arms and looped them around his neck. At that moment something cold touched my arm, then again on my other arm. I broke my embrace with Dante and looked up at the sky, flakes of white began to fall from the sky and surround the pair of us. I looked at Dante who was now smiling boldly at me.

“What?”

“Nothing” he laughed “Just miracles seem to be happening a lot these days”

It was strange to see something so peaceful as snow fall from the sky at such a drastic time. With this war coming up, it really was a miracle to see something like this. I stepped away from Dante for a moment and walked along the stoned pathway that lead from the house before stopping just before the gates, I held my arms high up into the air, looked up and closed my eyes, allowing the snow to beautifully caress my skin. I felt arms wrap around my waist and a chin settle down on my shoulder, his touch always had this way of melting me inside, I truly loved him more than anything in this world... seems strange to love someone that much that you would lay your own life down in a second if given the chance.

“You look like you've never seen snow before” Dante chuckled

“Funny, it's more the fact that considering the circumstance that we're stuck in... something as peaceful as snow falls from the sky” I looked back over my shoulder to see him smiling at me with that cheeky school boy grin he wore so well. Turning in his arms so that I faced him, I looped my arms around his neck and drew him close so that our foreheads met “Dante” I muttered

“What is it Vicki?”

“I want you to stay here tomorrow” He pulled away from me and stared at me with such intensity that it took almost all of the strength in me to not squirm

“What?”

“I'm serious, I want you away from all of this”

“You're joking aren't you... Vicki I am one of the best fighters of this race! And I will not allow myself to just sit back and watch you go through this on your own, no it's out of the question”

“That may be so... but what about loosing someone who means more to me than I can even put into words? And like the twins said, someone who is dear must die for the saviour to rise... that cannot be a coincidence!” I run my hands through my hair and grunted with frustration, why was he being so stubborn about all of this? This was the best option if he were to survive, the twins were never wrong with anything that they said, it was a little more than spooky to tell the truth.