Meeting the King

The journey was long and almost bored me to death. I had minimal conversation with Aurora, but as I gazed up at the castle when we finally arrived… well it was worth it. It looked like something out of a fairy-tale to me. The Romanian’s sure knew how to build! 

  Setting one foot inside this illustrious and breath-taking castle, I felt nervous. I felt so much more nervous than any other time in my life. What if they didn’t like me? What if they didn’t approve? The Istrati’s and Aurora had told me before that they were all very friendly… but that didn’t mean they were going to be welcoming towards their daughter’s/Siblings love child. The hall that I stood in was both grand and highly decorated. I noted that the family crest was painted on two of the knight’s shields that stood before me. This place felt empty and cold to me… I didn’t get the same warm and homely feeling that I got from the Istrati household. I didn’t like it here, I really didn’t feel safe.

“Don’t look so glum” Aurora teased, hoping to lighten the mood.

“I’m a little nervous” I admitted

“Me too, It’s been a long time since I last set foot here” her eyes drifted along the superior décor. It didn’t seem to enchant her as such but more puzzle and sadden her. I guesse she never expected to return… but time and fate are funny like that.

  The servants made their way towards us, gasping as they recognised my mother. Bowing slightly, both sets of eyes scanned over me, judging on what I was doing here. Aurora grabbed my hand and held it tightly before glaring at the two that had not lifted their gaze from mine. I turned to Aurora with both fear and desperation in my eyes, deeply fretful of what they might do. Her eyes remained fixed on the servants until they decided to finally leave, once gone her expression lightened and she turned to smile at me

“They could not read your mind” she stated

“And?”

“They assumed you were brain-dead mush or something. They never take into consideration that you may be stronger than them”

“How charming” I said flatly, her lips curled into a smile as she listened. It felt good to be with her. All things considered.

“They have however alerted my father to our presence, we will be summoned soon”

“Why can’t we just walk in?”

“I disowned them all remember?”

“Oh” she pulled me in close to her and held me in a cold yet warm, very much needed embrace. The perfume she wore I recognised somehow… how strange that one thing can trigger a lost memory. Her perfume mixed with her natural scent, to me that smelt like roses. Closing my eyes I inhaled as much as I could… hoping to embed it into my memory for good.

  Burrowing against her chest, I wished we could make up for lost time. She kissed my forehead then pulled me back a bit, as she was about to say something we were once more interrupted by one of those damn servants.

“Forgive the intrusion” he muttered as he stooped into a low bow “But the king has requested that your presence in the drawing room” he turned to the side, still in a low bow and held out a hand. Aurora grasped my hand tightly once more and began to lead the way. Each hall and corridor was decorated much the same, knights that stood so proudly against a violet or scarlet coloured wallpaper. Along the walls were a multitude of pictures either of previous monarchy or of scenery. This place seemed so lifeless.

“Boring isn’t it” she mused, echoing my thoughts “If I had stayed in this place then it would have seemed pretty to me… but that was before I tasted the human world. It’s both tragic and yet so beautiful”