An invitation

Once I was happy that everything was packed I once more looked In the box and gazed upon the necklace that had been handed down to me. It wasn’t the red ruby that caught my attention but the swirls and pattern around it. The pendant wasn’t heavy, in fact it was incredibly light, but the knowledge that it was my mother’s… well that’s what made it weigh more.

  I stared at the picture of my parents and me. I couldn’t help but smile and let the tears fall down my face as I noted how happy we all were. That was what I needed and missed out on for 18 years. All I managed to get from James and Jane were food, drink, clothes and a roof over my head. I may seem ungrateful but that was all I ever had, there was no love, there was no bond, there was very little care. I was neglected and unwanted. I know why they instantly felt as though ‘butter wouldn’t melt’ it was a vampire charm… I’ve read enough books to know that. They brought me up out of guilt and nothing more. Putting the objects back in the box and sealing it once more, I decided to place it in the bottom of one of the cupboards. I know Aurora said in her letter to wear the necklace at all times after I had seen the note… but it didn’t feel right, not yet anyway.

  Hearing my stomach growl and churn I knew that I needed food. I actually couldn’t remember the last time I ate something solid. Shrugging the thoughts away however I made my way downstairs to where I saw a regular scene of the brothers messing around with each other and Seth sat in the corner, reading a book. I decided that I would go and sit by him, it felt like ages since we had a decent chat

“Hey” I chirped as I sat next to him, he lowered his book and smiled back

“I heard about what you told the Istrati’s”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, sorry I wasn’t here to hear it for myself… but I business to attend to” I smiled sheepishly at him before my stomach interrupted us with a growl “What was that?”

“It was my stomach” I laughed “I haven’t eaten much lately” As soon as the words left my mouth an apple was placed down in front of me, I looked up to see Darius smirking “Thanks” I told him before he wandered back over to the others.

  The apple was crunchy yet deliciously sweet as I sank my teeth into its skin. Cringing as I resembled it to skin, shook my head and continued to talk to Seth. We talked about who my mother might be, what it felt like now I knew I was adopted, how things in terms of business was for him… stuff like that really. Anna made her way into the kitchen a few times and even made a comment on how gaunt I looked, scowled Dante for not feeding me and then rustled up some grub. The woman really did amaze me, she was the image for the word housewife, although I could never tell her that. As I ate the food I could help but feel the burning gaze of the others around me, it wasn’t one that I knew such as mockery or pity but it was one of compassion, care and thought. One look around me was enough to certify that thought. They had accepted me. If I never found my mother, it wouldn’t matter. I had a home with people who cared. They were my family.

“That was great” I breathed as I placed the knife and fork down on the plate

“Someone was  hungry” Seth teased

“Yes, yes I was” I smiled as I yawned “And tired too, so I’m gonna head off now but we need to talk more Mr” I tapped his arm playfully before standing up, stretching and heading off up to bed.

“Vicki?” I spun around to see a very nervous looking Dante

“What?”

“I have something I need to ask you later, so don’t fall asleep right away ok?” I nodded at him, feeling a little more than dazzled before making my way up to my room. Why did I agree not to fall asleep straight away? I was barely able to keep my eyes open as it was.