Friend or Foe?

The fresh air was like a blessing to that of the cold and stuffy air inside, knowing that Anna and her family were so accepting of humans… so welcoming, it gave my heart a little twitch… not quite hope but reassurance that she at least would keep to her word and not harm me… but what Candice said… that Dante would eventually kill me? I shook my head and wandered over to the finely decorated fountain that lay just west of the entrance, it was in the shape of a woman funny enough… but this woman was not only naked but as I looked toward her face I noticed two miniature fangs poking their way out… was there no escape from vampirism here? The fountain was surrounded by a white stone wall which I was grateful of, I needed to sit down and absorb what Anna had told me… they were all so old… they must think of me as nothing more than a baby.

“Mind if I sit down?” I jumped at the sound of Darius’ voice

“Free country” I replied, he sat down next to me and I noticed that he was holding a football, I guessed that they were taking a break or something.

“Hey, what’s made you so down and gloomy?” he nudged my shoulder

“I just… well I feel sorta like a baby” I couldn’t help but smile, even if it was weakly

“Why?”

“Your mother told me how old you all are” I looked at him to see his  turquois eyes twinkle as he smiled “What?”

“Ahh I see” he grinned, revealing his fangs which made me shiver slightly as I thought back to blood being spilled “Well try not to worry, it’s nice having someone younger… well young, young around anyway”

“Thanks” I replied sarcastically “Sure you don’t just want to have me for dinner or something?” I smiled wryly

“Only if it were a date” he winked cheekily at me “Why don’t you come play football with us?”

“Oh.. I..” I began but he just grabbed my hand and led me over to where he and Dimitri were earlier “Darius.. I haven’t played in years!” I protested but he just stuck his tongue out at me like the child he tended to act like.

“Ahh don’t be such a spoilt sport… Dimitri! I call dibs on Vic here!” he yelled over to his brother who just laughed as he saw how worried I began to look, Darius kicked the ball over to  Dimitri who saved it under his foot “Don’t worry, we’ll go easy on you” he winked at me

  The game of ‘football’ we were supposed to be having turned out to be no more than me trying to run after stupidly fast idiot brothers. Every time I got an inch away from tackling the ball from under their feet they sprint about an inch further away… but I have to admit, it made me smile and laugh again… I don’t know how long it had actually been since I genuinely laughed like that. As soon as I felt my ribs beginning to hurt I held my hands up in defeat and told them no more

“Awww come on! Five more minuets Vic” Darius pouted at me “You were doing so well!”

“Are…you…kidding…me...” I panted, catching my breath “I…Suck…” I stood upright with my hands on my hips and took in a big gulp of air

“No, quite the opposite… you’re a good player, just no match for vampires” Dimitri smirked at me

“Thanks though”

“For what?” they said synchronised

“For making me laugh” my cheeks began to burn so I turned on my heel and heading back to the house, if they ever asked me to play again… then I would certainly have no objections, I enjoyed myself out there… it felt great to feel like me again. I pushed the door open that lead to the house to find a rather peeved looking Dante leaning against the wall nearest to the stairs, I didn’t attempt to make conversation with him but as soon as my feet touched the bottom step he grabbed me, yanked me back and threw me against the wall… restraining me.