Broken Paths Chapter II- Sorrows

Singuuriq was cold—nothing but snow for miles and snow storms.

Wan hated the cold.

              Everything moved quickly; before Wan knew it, he was with Katara. Healing sessions had just started, and Korra wasn't there with him. Why would she be? She was busy being the Avatar, and he needed her to be busy. The world was too messed up for her not to get involved. Korra needed her to focus on something else. Katara had told him she would visit once she had nothing on her plate. 

                The first day of treatment didn't go so well. The pain, the unimaginable pain from the poison, and the trauma came full circle.

                 After the day's session, he returned to the healing pool with Katara. His face was blank as the elderly woman's hands pushed and pulled like a tide with her hands. The sensation left Wan shuttering as his hair touched the back of his neck and left a ghostly shiver down his spine. 

                 He closed his eyes, which he immediately regretted, as the visions of Zaheer, the poison, and the chains were at the forefront. He gasped out in terror and sat up straight. Katara stopped and turned her head to him. 

                "Wan?" 

                "...I wanna go back to my room…" Wan said, panting deeply. 

                Katara nodded and got up, grabbing a towel and his shirt on the cabinet,  "You should write down what you feel it might help."

Sakari, Wan’s caretaker, moved to help Wan put on his shirt. 

“Don’t touch me!” 

              "It's okay, Sakari, don't take it personally." Katara glanced at Wan, "And be a bit nice, Wan."

Wan snatched his shirt with enough strength he had, his arms were shaking and he was stressing himself. But if it meant having some independence, he’ll take it. He put on his shirt, struggling.

              "Want help?"

“No.” Wan groaned.

              "Being stubborn won't help the healing, Avatar Wan," Sakari advised. Wan looked at his legs and gritted his teeth. 

“Fine.” Wan resigned himself, hating every second of Sakari touching his body, lifting him up. He could only endure it for so long. 

              "It won't be long. Please bear with me…" Sakari said, taking deep breaths. 

~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~●~

Wan's eyes gazed away from the mirror in front of him. His hand gripping the wheel, ready to push himself.  Every time he was right behind him was a past version of himself, glowing eyes in the Avatar state, scorning at his current self, unruly hair, black circles under his eyes. His past self sneered at him, heather and able.