✎ seven

five pm came a little too quickly for my liking. people were already filing out, figuring our carpools. i told them id be fine with going with whoever.

mr jing yuan, was not fine. almost immediately he stood next to me, offering me a ride to the bar. i smiled, unable to object.

"thank you for the ride sir." i said as i sat in the passenger seat of his incredibly cushy, probably expensive car. "you're too kind."

"anything for you y/n." he chuckled, turning the wheel. i felt ever so awkward, sitting stiffly beside my boss in his luxurious car. it was almost like a dream — one i needed to get out of before i panicked.

we arrived at the bar in no time. before i could let myself out, jing yuan opened the door for me, offering his hand. i took it gratefully, but let it go immediately after. the others were already inside by the time we got there!

"boss! y/n, over here!" tingyun's voice caught my attention, and the two of us made our way to their table. i sat between jing yuan and tingyun, trying to let myself loosen up.

"what can i getcha?" the bartender asked while wiping a glass. i looked over at their selection, and took a minute to think.

"ill have an apple martini, thanks." i slid my id and card over. the bartender nodded and turned to jing yuan.

"and you sir?"

"whiskey, straight please." he replied with a grin. after the bartender left to prepare the drinks, i turned to tingyun for conversation.

"how's your week been tingyun?" i asked. she sighed, bringing her glass to her lips and taking a sip.

"busy. but its fine nonetheless. how about you, y/n?" my mind raced back to the dozens of emails i received.

"it was just okay. im a little stressed." i chuckled nervously. tingyun let out an 'ah' and leaned in closer.

"its about the rumors isnt it?" i froze and hesitated before nodding. "well, the whole office knows about it so i just wanted to say that —"

"shh!" i quieted her politely, jing yuan giving us a strange look. i smiled at him before pulling tingyun down. "mr jing yuan doesnt know, and i plan to keep it that way for as long as i can."

"oh, i see! but you know he'd support you, right?" she asked, confused.

"i just... don't want him to know too much about my past, does that make sense?" tingyun nodded with a grin. the bartender came back with both mine and jing yuan's drinks.

i took a sip, relishing the sweet taste of the apple and the tangy spice from the vodka. instantly, my muscles released their tension and i felt more at ease with my coworkers. perhaps going to friday night drinks every so often wouldnt be too bad.

"so, do you plan on going back?" sushang questioned, jumping into our conversation. i shook my head, but thought about it for a bit.

"no, but, yes. i mean, ugh..." i sighed. "there are times when i miss it, yes, but, i left for a reason. that injury ruined my career. sure its better now, but i havent skated for seven whole years. i dont think im still as good." yukong scoffed — apparently also after listening in.

"please, you're a natural y/n, truly. im honestly surprised boss doesnt know who you are, considering how influential you are to the sport." she laughed. i turned around and glimpsed at jing yuan, who was chatting with luocha and fu xuan. after observing him for a bit i returned back to the others.

"there are times when i wish i didnt quit, but now, i have this job. its stable, it doesn't depend on whether im hurt, or having a bad season. thats why i like it so much. plus, i met you guys." the group i was talking with cooed sarcastically.

"cute, but seriously y/n, do you miss it at all?" that question stalled me. i found myself deep in thought.

"i think, in the end, i do." i whispered. "but i cant go back... i just... i-"

"y/n!" i snapped out of my daze to hear jing yuan calling me. "you okay there?"

"im fine sir!" i managed to squeak out. he smiled and placed his hand on my shoulder, squeezing it lightly.

"well, im here if you need to talk." he turned back around and continued chatting with the others. when i looked back, yukong, tingyun and sushang all stared, wide-eyed.

"have you ever considered the idea that boss has a thing for you?" sushang asked quietly. i shook my head, trying to deny his past flirting attempts.

"nope." i lied. "not the slightest bit."

a/n: hehehehehehehehhehehehe