✎ twenty-one

"you know," jing yuan murmured, arms crossed as he leaned against the back of the rink. "i always knew there was something about you."

"really?" i asked, after telling him, which lifted a weight off my shoulders. i felt way more comfortable around him. "im surprised no one back at the office never told you." i glided around the ice, doing a couple spins in the process. jing yuan watched, amused.

"no, none of them told me anything. im surprised you yourself never did. why is that?"

"well," i hesitated slightly. "i was scared. i dont really know of what, but there was just part of me that was nervous to tell you."

"why be nervous?" he pulled on my arm, almost causing my to lose my balance. i fell onto his torso for support, shutting my eyes in embarrassment. "there was no need, y/n."

"jing yuan..!" i couldn't open my eyes, not in this position. my entire body was pressed against his, arms holding him so i wouldnt fall. even being one of the best skaters, jing yuan would make my legs go weak at any performance.

"i think... you know how i feel towards you, don't you, y/n?" time froze. i forced open my eyes and met his gaze. my breath quickened, the only sound being the beating of out hearts.

"i think i do, jing yuan." i whispered, a blush forming on my cheeks. "but sir... is this allowed..?"

"i can make it y/n, but i dont want to force you into anything you don't want to do. my feelings for you are here, and ill wait as long as i need to for you, my dear." jing yuan's arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me closer. "how about it, y/n?"

"you'll wait for me...? jing yuan, i dont deserve this, i- i dont deserve you.." i stammered, not being able to form complete sentences. his grin widened, and his lips pressed onto my forehead.

"but you're who ive wanted, y/n. you know, i used to watch you skate, and when i say that you've.. always enthralled me, even when we were kids, i- i dont know what im saying..."

at this point, jing yuan looked incredibly vulnerable. id never seen him fully show his emotions, and watching him made my heart pound. but was i ready? with the stress of worlds and olympics, was i ready?

the only relationship id ever been in was short lived, and one of the reasons i quit skating altogether. i mean, dating your figure skating partner never truly ended well. at least dan heng and i are on good terms today.

being with dan heng was like a fever dream. i never knew what was happening, but i liked it. we were young and stupid, and once the rumors had gotten out, i began to regret it all. thats why i always stayed out of relationships. always.

i used to ignore jing yuan entirely. it was amusing to watch how he treated me. but in the last two weeks, i felt different. i felt seen. perhaps it was the repercussions of skating before, but now? i knew what i wanted.

"jing yuan, i... i dont know... im scared. not of being with you, but the public reaction." i confessed, holding his hand tighter. "im scared because of what happened with my first relationship. i just.."

"look at me y/n." he tilted my chin, eyes meeting mine. "i told you id wait, okay? we can take things slowly, as slow as you ever want."

"okay... okay." a smile broke out on my face. "yeah, w-wow. this is happening." i didnt even try to cover the blush. "aeons i feel like a teenager all over again."

"so do i." he chuckled, thumb brushing against my lips. my breath hitched, heat spreading through my whole body.

i wanted to take it slow but i couldn't deny how much i wanted his lips on mine, how much i wanted to run my hands through his hair, and tell him how much i-

"you're so beautiful." he whispered, warm breath tickling my ear. i shivered, so entranced by him.

"y/n? y/n- oh! oh this is.." i jumped away, before realizing i was still on ice, slipping and falling. himeko had walked over, yet stopping at the sight, dropping the loads of documents in her hands. "these- ill just- leave them-"

"you okay?" jing yuan helped me up.

"fine!" i replied quickly. "um, i should probably head home to fill those out."

"ill drive you." jing yuan stated. i opened my mouth to tell him it was okay, but who was i to pass up a free ride?

"okay."

a/n: UAAAAAAAA FINALLY !!!