✎ twenty-four

"here's the tofu, jing yuan." i brought the cutting board over, slowly pushing the tofu into the soup. jing yuan looked over, brushing a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"mhm, good." he mumbled, adding the rest of the veggies. "thank you for helping, y/n."

"its the least i can do, jing yuan. you're way too kind towards me." i grinned, placing my hand over his. i couldn't help but feel so close to him, especially since he first truly confessed his feelings towards me.

"ah, you know how much i care for you, y/n dear." he replied. i continued in front of the pot, freezing up, feeling jing yuan's arms wrap around my waist. "aeons, you're just.. so beautiful."

"jing yuan.." i leaned back into his touch, his hair brushing against my neck.

"yes, y/n?" his voice was lower, causing shivers to run down my spine.

"d-dinner's ready." i whispered awkwardly. he laughed, letting go and grabbing bowls. "s-sorry."

"oh, don't be. you're too cute." he ruffled my hair and grabbed my hand, taking me to the table, dimly lit by candles — rather than using the chandelier.

i clicked my tongue, giving him a snarky look. "you're an idiot." i winked, watching him open a bottle of ginger ale.

"im also your boss." he poured me a glass, handing it over. jing yuan took a spoonful of the soup, eyes widening. "and you make really good food. i could get used to this."

"oh?" i giggled. "ginger ale huh? you're like a kid." jing yuan smiled, his eyes shut as he continued eating.

"considering i missed out on my childhood, i think its fine." he said, slightly bitter. my gaze softened, hand reaching out for his.

"im sorry, jing yuan." i murmured, my thumb rubbing circles on the skin of his hand. he smiled, shaking his head.

"dont be, my dear. its all in the past now, and what matters is the present. which is you and me, y/n. you're all i care about." my cheeks flushed pink, eyes widening in surprise.

"jing yuan, i... oh aeons.." i tried to speak, but the words i wanted to say just wouldn't come out. "i really, really... i..."

"you don't have to say it yet, dear. i told you id wait, hm?" he sighed, reaching across the table and caressing my cheek.

"i-i know, but... ah, i dont know what im feeling right now." i giggled softly, my hand over his. "im just... so.. happy."

"and i as well, y/n. i want to be with you, truly. every time i see you, my heart starts to race, and my breathing becomes staggered, and i just... i want to hold you, whenever i see you. and- i could talk about you, forever. i just... don't know what im doing, but i know what i want. and thats you. and i know ive said this.. a lot in the past couple days, but.. i just.. ah." i leaned over the table, my eyes dipping down to his lips, then back up to him.

"i feel the same, jing yuan. really. at first, well," i laughed. "i kinda hated it. you made me feel so vulnerable and i hated it. but then i realized how special i felt around you. that vulnerable feeling turned into the attention i wanted. not just for skating, and rumors. you see me for me. and im so, so glad that i have you."

"are you okay with how we are now?" he whispered, the tension thick in the air. "because i am. im fine with whatever you want."

"and im fine with this too." i mumbled back. "i love how this is right now. taking it slow, for me, is the kindest thing you've done for me. there's just one thing.." i tried to keep the last part to myself, but it slipped out.

"hm? what is it, darling?" he asked, tipping my head towards him. my eyes once again darted down to his lips. his gaze followed mine, earning a laugh from him. "ah, i see. well, ask, and you shall receive."

it was quick, quicker than i expected. but the amount of passion, the sweetness, the softness. his lips against mine for the smallest millisecond, yet it sent billions of sparks through my body. the light hint of ginger ale he drank before, sweet against my own lips. it was short, sweet, simple, and everything i ever needed.

"-/n? y/n~?" jing yuan's teasing voice brought me out of my trance, his thumb against the side of my lip. "welcome back"

"h-hi." i managed to squeak out. his laughter grew louder, causing me to glare.

"ah, so cute my darling. let me clean up for you. it looks like its still storming outside. stay the night..?"

"do you even have to ask? of course i will."

a/n: kissy kissy mwah mwah