✎ twenty

"sir? your messages." i stood by jing yuan's desk the next morning, a smile gracing my face, cheeks already tinted pink without him even doing anything. today was nerve-wracking, because i needed to tell jing yuan the truth today.

"oh, thank you, y/n." he took the slip of paper, yawning while he spoke. i could tell he had less sleep than any night before, because he never yawned, or at least let is hear him.

"are you doing well, sir?" i asked politely, sitting in the chair beside him as he typed out the notes onto a document. jing yuan shrugged, his eyes drooping slightly.

"since its you, i might as well tell you. i haven't been doing well lately. my father's been putting quite the pressure, especially during this time of year. we usually skyrocket in the winter months due to the holidays, and i know november hasn't even hit yet, but he thinks we could be doing more." his words broke my heart; i never thought that he put up a strong facade, while underneath he was just like everyone else.

"sir.. im so sorry." i hesitated, before resting my hand on his arm, squeezing it gently. "im always here if you need something, mr jing yuan."

"ah aeons y/n, drop the 'mr'." he sighed, adjusting his arm so that my hand was in his. pink blossomed on my face, my heart beginning to race. what was i doing, what was happening to me..?

"okay, jing yuan." i whispered, letting his fingers wrap around my hand. "you should rest, though. i can handle your work."

"no, i don't want to burden you.." he mumbled, though his tired expression said otherwise. i clicked my tongue and faced his monitor towards myself, grabbing the keyboard and beginning to work. "y/n.."

"jing yuan?" i repeated his name, my eyes not leaving the computer.

"are you busy this evening?" my breath hitched: this is the opening i needed to lead him into the truth. my throat was dry, but i knew what i had to do.

"well, n-no, not today."

this had woken him up. his gaze met mine, an unreadable expression plastered on his face. "then, would you do me the honor of going somewhere tonight, together?"

i gulped. "how about the ice rink, sir?" jing yuan smiled at me, squeezing my hand.

"that sounds perfect. would you like to go straight after work, or later?"

"after work is great, jing yuan." i thought back to my sports duffle under the reception counter with a grin.

"then i cant wait, my dear."

————

when we arrived at the rink, i could feel myself trembling. i didnt know what his reaction would be at all. mad? surprised? happy? confused? all four at once?

jing yuan opened the door for me, standing close as we walked in. himeko waited at the counter, surprised with there being another person.

"hey, y/n... and..?" she motioned towards jing yuan, who gave her a wave.

"jing yuan, im y/n's ... boss." himeko seemed to realize what was happening as her mouth formed an 'o' while she stepped out from behind the counter.

"ah, welcome welcome! its so wonderful to have one of our best skaters bring someone." jing yuan raised his eyebrows turning to me.

"you skate?" he asked, genuinely curious. i took a deep breath and nodded, leading him inside. i didn't respond, sliding my skates on quickly.

after we both were done, i pulled him onto the ice. he seemed slightly uneasy, trying his best to cover it up.

"theres something i should tell you, jing yuan." i said, my voice echoing across the rink. "do you watch the olympics?"

"rarely, though i havent for a while. i skipped out on the one from four years ago. why do you ask?"

breathe. breathe !!

"this might sound crazy, but i am y/n l/n, professional figure skater!"

i probably sounded really stupid. it took jing yuan a while to react, his surprised expression overtaking him.

"wait... wait ..!" his eyes grew large, as if i was talking to a small child. "i used to watch you when i was a teen. you were amazing." a blush took control of my face, causing me to heat up.

"a-ah.. w-well, im flattered, jing yuan, but i really brought you here to tell you, im competing again." his jaw dropped barely in response. "so i dont want you to be surprised if i.. miss out on work for a day or two, or maybe you see me on the television, and oh, please aeons don't fire me."

jing yuan chuckled, pulling me slightly closer to him. "why would i fire you, my dear? i finally know more about you... and i hope to learn even more."

at that point, i knew i had to have been a blushing mess. jing yuans hand was grasping my wrist, our bodies ever so close to each other. i stared directly into his eyes, too scared to break eye contact.

"so you're not mad..?"

"far from it, y/n. im absolutely amazed, and proud of you."

i felt as though i could hug him. "thank you... i really needed to hear that."

a/n: awwwwww