✎ nine

"good morning y/n, how was your weekend?" i fought the sleep that tried to overcome me as jing yuan walked into the office. it took me a while to process his question, only realizing as he stood by my desk.

"mm? o-oh, yes sir, it was fine. here are your messages." i stifled a yawn while handing a notepad to him. "im sorry if its hard to read today, my handwritings been a bit off."

jing yuan held the notes up incredulously. "if you consider this your bad handwriting, then id tell you you're crazy. its extremely eligible, my dear y/n, im always amazed with you."

"you flatter me, sir, but its not my best work." this time, i couldn't help but yawn, covering my mouth with my hand. jing yuan chuckled deeply.

"have you not been able to rest?" i shook my head. in truth, i spent the entire night rewatching every recorded competition i performed in, studying and analyzing my former self, my former routines. because ten years worth of skating took quite a while.

"sort of, sir." i said simply, not wanting to elaborate. jing yuan shook his head, a smile on his face.

"you need to rest y/n. take the day off." he offered, resting his arm on the reception counter and leaning closer casually. my eyes widened at his statement.

"i couldn't, sir. its my own fault i didn't get rest, so i should take accountability for it." i pulled my hair out of its bun, as the tightness began to affect my headache. jing yuan's smile grew as my hair cascaded down my shoulders.

"it wont be a burden, y/n. you're exhausted. please, take a break, okay?" i sighed, no longer able to argue with him. nodding, i rested my head on the desk and shut my eyes.

"please wake me up in less than an hour, mr jing yuan." i mumbled, already beginning to drift off.

"rest well, dear y/n."

——

"y/n~?" jing yuans voice brought me back to reality. the bright lights blinded my vision, as i slowly lifted my head off my desk. "hey there, sleepy."

"mm, what time is it?" i stretched while yawning.

"its been an hour, dont worry, i had yanqing take the calls and messages. you deserved a well earned rest." i smiled gratefully at my boss, my eyes meeting his with a look of kindness.

"you're too kind sir." i responded, feeling more awake than i had earlier. "ill be back to work now. and thank you again, mr jing yuan."

"anytime, y/n." he turned around to begin walking back to his office. "anytime."

work seemed longer than it normally has been before. every minute felt like an eternity wasted away on documents, spreadsheets, and a suspiciously hard game of online solitaire.

and it wasn't just me; the whole office felt like lifeless zombies walking through the area. even during lunch, barely anyone talked — that was it for jing yuan.

"conference room, everyone, five minutes." we all watched as he left the break room and started setting up his meeting in the conference room. i too, got up and went early, wanting to help.

when i walked in, he was standing at the front, deep in thought. i slowly made my way over, tapping his shoulder politely.

"do you need any help, mr jing yuan?" i asked, looking at the empty conference room. he smiled gratefully at me, but shook his head.

"i should be fine, y/n, thank you though, dear." i stood by his side, however, deciding id help if he ended up changing his mind. jing yuan, realizing i wouldnt leave, chuckled, turning to me.

"you're quite stubborn, miss y/n, its enthralling." i raised my eyebrows, questioning his word choice.

"enthralling, sir?"

"who am i to talk though, everything about you captures my attention."

i was always used to jing yuans flirting — it happened daily, and ive always just ignored it. but today, my cheeks flushed pink, and my composure wavered. i had no clue what was happening, and i could only avert my eyes from him.

"sir, you shouldn't say things like that." i mumbled, no longer looking at him. jing yuan laughed at my reaction.

"ah, its only the truth y/n. now, take a seat, the others should be in here soon."

"yes mr jing yuan."

a/n: bro hes so 😍😍😍