Alfonse x Fem! Reader || If Wishing Was Enough

———

-No One's POV-

"Perhaps if you really wish hard enough, anything could come true. We are in the realm of dreams, after all." Alfonse and Sharena glance at Peony, a blonde fairy with orange butterfly wings and a dress sewn with delicate yellow flower petals that swirled around her fragile frame. Her large, doll-like purple eyes shimmered and a small, hopeful smile adorned her pale, youthful face. "Give it a try, will you? Then your friend might come back!" She insists, trying to spark some light in the currently somber Askr royalty.

Skeptically, Alfonse closed his eyes slowly and steeled his nerves. Taking faith in what the cheerful pixie had to say, he then proceeded to whisper a heartfelt mumble filled with longing, "I wish... I wish... I wish my friend (Y/N) were here!"

The air is left with disheartening silence as the group is met with a thick, inevitable failure.

Alfonse opens his eyes and brushes his navy bangs behind his ears, though it falls right back into place, thrown across his forehead, almost shadowing his gaze. His sister, Sharena, pipes up nervously, "...Um, pardon?"

His gaze whips to his sister who is fidgeting with her armored uniform and deliberately avoiding the urge to look at him. "Whatever do you mean?" Alfonse inquired firmly, noticing the puzzled look on both Peony and Sharena's expressions. "Where is she? Where is (Y/N)?"

"Alfonse." His sister says sternly with a slight frown, "Are you all here right now? I don't think we know of anyone by the name of (Y/N)... Do we?"

The shock hits Alfonse like a brick thrown forcefully at his chest. Sweat rolled down his neck as he asked uneasily, "Is this a joke? Your memories of (Y/N) are truly gone?"

Adjusting her blazing ruby-red ponytail, Anna rolls her eyes, saying, "Would we kid you about such a thing?"

"But... if no one remembers... could it be that I only dreamed of a girl so vivid, I thought I knew her in my waking life?" Alfonse ponders the idea with the three other girls staring at him strangely. "No, that can't be it... After all the time we've spent fighting side by side with (Y/N)..."

"Brother," Sharena begins softly, "Why do you look so afraid? You lost a girl of your dreams... in your dreams."

"The name (Y/N) rings a bell," Anna says with a shrug, trying to comfort the downcast prince. "It's said to be the name of the legendary princess of myths, but the honor of meeting someone like that in my lifetime... Alfonse, I don't think we knew her."

"Yet... I can still clearly recall memories of (Y/N)... Her (h/l) (h/c) hair, pulled into a (h/style). Her sparkling, irresistible (e/c) eyes. The way her entire look lit up when she smiled broadly..." Alfonse trails off, frantically wondering why your face plagued his mind when none of his close friends seemed to even know of the girl. The reason was simpler than even words. He cared very, very deeply for you. His entire existence craved for your safety, and the mere thought of you not existing... horrified him much more than anything ever had.

"Nightmares..." Everyone immediately swivels around to Peony as she utters the ominous word in a low, whimsical tone. "The answer! It's nightmares!" The fairy abruptly exclaims, hands clasped in front of her.

"Huh?" Anna says with a quizzical face.

Peony is quick to explain, expression delighted and ecstatic at the revelation. Nightmares had been overrunning the world she belonged in, and now they were after Alfonse and Sharena's kingdom — they were of the highest status there, you know. The only two children of His Majesty. The nightmare the fairy spoke of put anyone they could find to sleep and then made their greatest fears come true in their minds. The thing that frightened Alfonse the most...