Chrom x Fem! Reader || Who's the Mother?

———

-Your POV-

"Tell me — who taught you to fight like that?" Chrom demanded through gritted teeth, the grip on his sword as tight as it could be. Across from him stood a warrior with matching cobalt hair and a mirrored sword, his stance just the same as well.

"My father!" Came the response, without any warning.

This is when everything we knew in the world tipped on its side and began to crumble. They were few and far between, those words we exchanged with the masked swordsman by the name of "Marth". But each time, something chipped, and cracked, letting a new wave of confusion pass.

The two clashed in a sudden duel, only to find out every technique, every slash and dodge, wasn't unlike the ones the other used, cursing them to be locked in a stalemate — one that neither of them wished to admit.

Chrom, stepping back and blocking another strike, asked with a rising voice and sparked temper, "Marth! Who is your father?"

After a brief moment of hesitation, Marth only backed away from him and the rest of the group of Shepherds, a firm frown on his pale face under the butterfly-like masquerade costume. "My apologies. I've said enough for one day, sir. Farewell."

Then, Marth was gone as swiftly as he first appeared, only to face us once more in yet another battle, this time in an official match under Arena Ferox's watch to decide the rule of the khans. We couldn't get another word out of the warrior shrouded in mystery, but still, his blade which so strongly resembled Chrom's Falchion seemed to taunt us as we fought.

In a later battle, our unidentified masked foe popped up once more, this time fully on our side for once.

"That's the last of them." Chrom sighed, sheathing his sword and turning to offer a smile to me where I was positioned to his right. We were all struggling after that fight, and rather out of breath, not at all expecting to have to continue a minute longer. "Gods, I thought it might nev—"

Hastily, I interrupted, eyes widening in horror as a figure appeared from the shadows. "Chrom! Chrom, look out!" The Risen's spindly limbs and zombie-like gait as it approached only heightened my fear.

Chrom spun around, but not in time to prepare for yet another battle. Before the axe of the new enemy could make contact with his flesh, Marth jumped in, ever our unexpected savior.

"Father, no!" He shouted, blade drawn and held high above his head.

The sword came down with such force that only belonged to adrenaline's motivations, making quick work of the Risen. Chrom stumbled away and I rushed to his side, my gaze darting between Marth and the undead creature that now lay, unmoving, on the ground.

"Thank the gods you're safe!" There was a rare wisp of a smile visible on his face when he turned to face us once more. The relief on his face was foreign and surprising. Before this, Marth always appeared to know exactly how things were to play out like he wasn't experiencing this for the first time, but this time around, his emotions were genuine.

"Uh, Marth?" I asked, then realized that Chrom was on the same track I was.

Chrom frowns, his gaze sharpening with the same skepticism that matched mine. "...You called me 'Father'."

"Oh, uh... Did I? I..." Marth trails off, caught off guard. "...Perhaps we might speak privately? I believe that would be for the best if you'd wish for me to explain." He offers half-heartedly with a shrug of his shoulders.

He nodded reluctantly, bewilderment still leaving its mark on his conflicted expression. "Perhaps we should, yes."

None of the other Shepherds, including myself, saw that conversation, but many rumors began to speculate, starting with the most important question to be asked. If Chrom was the father of this daughter — as Marth was, in fact, not a male after all, but a girl of the Exalt line named Lucina — from a ruined future in a separate timeline... who was the mother?